Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2006, 09:52 AM

Default ed miller says fold

someone asked ed miller what todo with 67s on the button and he said fold. but i always thought you could call if its less than 10%? its on his website www.notedpokerauthority.com down a little called q&a 5.

also should i read his no limit book i usually play limit but i want learn no limit. is it good?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Re: ed miller says fold

Depends on how deep you're playing and if its been raised.

Playing shortstacked I fold to a raise.
Deepstacked I call a raise, limp after others, or raise with no lipers or maybe 1 limper.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:07 AM

it was 100bb and a guy raised after some limpers
Old 10-30-2006, 10:17 AM

Depends also on the players. Agains a huge donk I'm willing to play more hands. Also if the EP villains are likely to limp/call OOP, this can be called.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it was 100bb and a guy raised after some limpers

[/ QUOTE ]

fold.

we might not see a flop here if we smooth call (there are people to act behind us who could easily squeeze raise us off the hand.)

With sc's the idea is to see cheap flops and make big sneaky hidden hands. Being IP is good - but unless we are closing the action and the flops going to be multiway you should almost never be calling here (if we have a read that the limpers are alsmot never re-raising light but will often call if we call, then you can *maybe* justify a call sometimes here)

but usually fold.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:21 AM

Ed gives a very good explanation of his reasoning on the site, which probably has more detail and analysis that you're going to get here. I won't repeat the answer here, but the original question was as follows:

[ QUOTE ]
Specifically, there have been 3 limpers, the CO raises to 7x the big blind, and you are on the button with 67s. NLTP suggests calling a raiser with this hand , but tighten up if the raise is more than 4x the BB. However, this player ( solid ) is raising more because of the limpers and of course the pot is bigger because of limpers.

There are blinds and limpers to act behind you preflop. It is raised preflop about 75% of the time but not a lot of limp- reraising has been seen. My question is 2 parts actually–what would be “best ” in this situation and what are the most important variables ( know you couldn’t list them all ) to factor in your decision in situations where there are limpers, you have the button and poor relative preflop position? ( Stacks are mostly 100x bb ).

Thank you for any help.

[/ QUOTE ]

All that stuff in there? That's detail. Detail's pretty important in NL hold'em (and in limit for that matter). It's what gets you more than a one line answer such as "always call if it's less than 10%".

And yes, you should buy NLTAP.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:31 AM

ya i know details. but im saying that he is talking about making a pair with 67s but i dont get why. i mean you dont play 67s because you want a 6 or whatever you want a flush or straight. so why is he explaining why a pair sucks?
Old 10-30-2006, 10:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And yes, you should buy NLTAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are very different opinions about that in this forum. Some of the ideas in that book are horrible IMO, it has its good moments also.

SSNL stickies > NLTAP
Old 10-30-2006, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ya i know details. but im saying that he is talking about making a pair with 67s but i dont get why. i mean you dont play 67s because you want a 6 or whatever you want a flush or straight. so why is he explaining why a pair sucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he is illustrating his position. His response is not about how to play a flopped pair, it's about figuring out what you want to accomplish when you call pre-flop. No offence, but if you are looking to challenge Ed Miller, why not do so on his website?
Old 10-30-2006, 11:20 AM

I call raises with SCs all day long ... sometimes I reraise though.