Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 09:08 PM

Default Re: Chris Ferguson times 64

[ QUOTE ]

Assuming any are able to play profitably (90% will fail, if they're like the broad base of players worldwide) then you have to pay them enough that they don't quit and go out on their own once they realize that they have the skills to play profitably.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just OOC...
Are they gonna play 10/20 on their own making $30/month?
Old 10-29-2006, 07:49 AM

This gotta be the stupidest idea ever. Why not just use the money that you woulda bank rolled "some kids" and play higher stakes on your own. Some people are just so lazy ...sheesh
Old 10-29-2006, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not just use the money that you woulda bank rolled and play higher stakes on your own

[/ QUOTE ]

because you can lower variance this way.

[ QUOTE ]
Some people are just so lazy

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't exactly easy to pull off. having the right safeguards in place so that you aren't bleeding money by your own employees scamming you plus the other headaches caused by running your own business will make this difficult to execute
Old 10-29-2006, 04:04 PM

How does letting some kids from another country play low stakes lower your variance? I honestly don't think this would work.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i'm surprised that with some 80,000 members that this idea has never been floated here in two plus twO. there is a serious lack of creativity here, imO3.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not suprsied that with 80,000 members that there is one dumb enough to post this idea.

Problems:
1) I'm pretty sure internet gambling is illegal for anybody under 18 in most countries.
2) We have extradition treaties with most countries.
3) I don't want to know what a prison in Thialand looks like.

4) In most countries where the poor 14-year-olds have the basics to master a poker strategy, they will have better oppertunities than your slave labor idea. And even in the poorest African countries, there are often black market oppertunities. Those Nigeria scam emails are very profitable.

5) Even if 4) does not hold, these kids are smart. They will pool their money and start a team on their own.

6) $30/month is not a fortune in most places, especially not those with where poor 14 year olds have an education. $1/day is half the world poverty line of $2/day.

7) They could easily donk away your money to their friends.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:20 AM

kajun,

how hard do you think training recent stats/math grads to multitable a game like 50nl would be and beat it for 3ptbb/100?

with a group of 5 employees playing 6 tables at 3 8 hour shifts, you're looking 60k hands/day. with 3ptbb/100 you're looking to gross 1800/day. labor costs would be at $600 for the regular employees then add in another $200 for some trusted managers. that still leaves you with $1k/day to pay out security/maintenance/rent/utilities/cable/plus a host of other expenses. even if these extra expenses work out to $500/day (unlikely) you're still making $15k/month. start up costs are computer equipment and the time to research all the requirements for starting a business in that foreign country.

for a country like the philippines, minimum wage is at $10/day vs $40/day you'd be paying the players. sure they can start up their own accounts but first they'll have to go buy a computer and hope to get a place with good electricity and access to high speed dedicated internet. then they have to get a bankroll going. those costs are a huge disincentive for them since they're getting 4x the minimum wage already with no risk.

but like i said there are other issues that i'd be more concerned about, namely that your players start chip dumping to other people that they know.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:40 AM

ortom,

problems 1-3 are irrelevant for countries where internet gaming is legal

4 is untrue. lots of smart people in these countries do not have opportunities to make the type of wages you offer

5 while you may have a point here, it will still take them some time to come up with the cashflow to start their own enterprise. employee turnover is just another cost of doing business. there are plenty of potential employees out there.

6 the model i outlined above differs from the OP in that i'd provide a better economic incentive for the employees (roughly 4x the min wage)

7 very true. to address this you'd need to have lots of database scripts to help you weed out the obvious chip dumping plus hire very trusted people to manage the enterprise for you for 3 shifts a day (your managers). the good part is, you don't need to catch all of the collusion to still be profitable.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the model i outlined above differs from the OP in that i'd provide a better economic incentive for the employees (roughly 4x the min wage)

[/ QUOTE ]

if you hire young people (assuming local labor laws make it legal to do so) from families destitute enough to sell their daughters to pimps and let their sons beg on the streets to supplement family income, then you won't really need to spend that much on wageS. the key is to keep the families (whose head of household only has less than grade one education) happY. in essence, you hire the family not just the "employeE".

you shouldn't limit the pay incentives to moneY. random free bags of rice (sometimes pork and beans, and sardines) for Mom and Dad from time to time, free ruler, pencil boxes, erasers, and crayons for sister, cheap made in China toys (the kinds sold at 99 cent only stores in the US) for little brother, 4 hours free play at the company's used Nintendo 64 and Sega per week for the player, etC. by doing these in addition to the 30 bucks/per month that you pay the employee, you can gain a lot of loyalty at minimum cosT. plus, you will be helping the community by making a lot of people smile (an unexpected pork and beans delivered by you to the home just when the family is about to begin eating rice with water and salt for dinner would easily do this and would even make them feel a great debt of gratitude towards yoU).

you really have to learn to be more creative than just merely connecting employee satisfaction with higher wageS. you can gain as much loyalty with cheap perks for the entire family not just the employeE.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:53 AM

john, why would i want to hire malnutritioned kids who might have a hard time comprehending certain concepts. i'd like to have quality employees. it is much easier to find them from a pool of recent grads or current students at a university.

plus, not all of the incentives i'd offer would be monetary. spending money for good office equipment, paying extra for air conditioning, etc. is part of it.

[ QUOTE ]
you really have to learn to be more creative than just merely connecting employee satisfaction with higher wageS. you can gain as much loyalty with cheap perks for the entire family not just the employeE.

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to balance the free bags of rice and salaries though. cmon now, you're telling me that a few bags of rice and some beef will really be a lot more fulfilling than offering 4 times the min wage? especially in a country where many of the inhabitants in the rural areas don't even get the minimum wage due to lax enforcement on labor laws?
Old 10-30-2006, 03:23 AM

John,

Your posts just get dumber and dumber. You really think some kid begging on the street could even grasp the concepts needed to play poker? Instead of looking for ways to take advantage of people why dont you think of something genuine.

Free bags of rice for employees? Not only are you a moron you are an ignorant son of a bitch. One these kids in Thailand would slit your throat in a heart beat. Hopefully sooner then later so nobody has to read your [censored] posts anymore