Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 04:18 PM

Default Re: We Are So Screwed: Federal Financial Analysis

The main difference is that GNP includes all the revenues of multi-national American companies while GDP must be solely derived from domestic sources. They're not that divergent and I tend to think of them pretty interchangeably in contexts like this.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:31 PM

Default Re: We Are So Screwed: Federal Financial Analysis

[ QUOTE ]
I need not repeat that even if every single one of us watches out for our own retirement that the economy will still hit the skids as a result of a sudden end to entitlement programs.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is far from being a given. In fact, I am not even sure how this makes sense. If anything, the end of entitlements will spur the economy as more people work longer.

natedogg
Old 10-29-2006, 05:00 PM

Default Can we print time ?

[ QUOTE ]
I might point out that the percentage of current debt compared to the GNP is less than 3% today according to the GAO. This is lower than anytime in the last 50 years.

[/ QUOTE ]Although it is indeed generally good to owe money long term rather than short term, and the U.S. has seen a shifting of its debt towards the long term horizon, the sum of short-term debt (current debt) and long-term debt, otherwise known as national debt, continues to be at uneasy highs. Here's a graph of national debt as percentage of GDP. Note that the only recent period it's dipping is during the Clinton presidency:

Also, here's the graph for total credit market debt as percentage of GDP. Total credit market debt double-counts debt between banks and other institutions, incl. the gov't, but this is useful because it highlights the domino-effect risks of institutional defaults:

All in all, ahead it's getting interesting. (Excuse the pun.)

Mickey Brausch