Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-2006, 12:06 PM

Default Can\'t fund my Stars account

This past week has been tremendously frustrating with trying to get some money on Stars. I used to play primarily at Party and had most of my money there. Trying to get $1000 on Stars now, but I'll take whatever I can get.

- I had used firepay in the past. According to their site, I can't use them to take money FROM online gambling sites anymore, but I can still deposit. I take a quick glance at Stars deposit screen and see that they still list Firepay as an option. Ok, so I deposit $1000 including a $15 fee. Well it just so happens that Stars does NOT take Firepay anymore. However instead of removing the option to click on "deposit using Firepay" like any rational company would, they don't tell you this until you click on it. Just great. Now I have $1000 tied up on Firepay for a week(takes a while before you can get it back out) and I have to pay another withdrawl fee.

-Ok, so netteller looks to be the next best option. I make an account with them and attempt to deposit. Oops- theres some error and they tell me to call them. I call, answer a bunch of questions and get transfered a bunch of times. Finally I get someone from their security department who tells me "I'm sorry...theres a fraud investigation regarding your account. It will take about a month to complete...after its over you can deposit." Now keep in mind that I have NEVER used Netteller ever. And I think it goes without saying that I've never tried to commit any time of theft or fraud, so I'm completely confused regarding this. Moreover, when I ask the guy for some info he just gives me an email address and tells me that they can give me more info...whatever.

-Now I try to just deposit straight with my credit card...nope, my bank won't allow it.

-Next I try CentralCoin. Won't get into details, but same type of story. Can't deposit with them. Now I have no clue whether or not its this way for everyone, but I'm 100% positive that theres no reason for me to have any blemishes on my record regarding any type of fraud or bad credit, so I can't imagine that I'm the only one having troubles with this.

-Next up Western Union. I get all of the info from PokerStars, and they tell me to ship money to some guy in Costa Rica...they give me a name and all of the info. I go to the website and try to send it. I get some message telling me to call a number in order to complete the order. So I call and answer a bunch of questions. I stumble over the pronunciation of the guys name when I say it and the person asks me "Do you know this person?" Obviously looking back, lying might have been the best option here, but I really do want to remain in good standing with these companies, so I tell the truth. They then inform me that they will not be a part of funding any online gambling and that I cannot use them for this.

The only other deposit options are Diners Club International, Cashier's Check, and Local Bank Wire Transfer. I even emailed Stars support. Usually their support is top notch. This time it was horrible! I explained my situation, and they sent me back what looked like a pre-written response telling me that "Netteller is a great option." Ummm....didn't I just tell you that I already tried that? When did Stars support become like Party's?

At this point I'm extremely frustrated and also very worried about the future of online poker. Surely the average fish would give up by now. The only reason that I'm so set on keeping at it and trying other options is because I play poker as my sole source of income.

Any suggestions? I have thought about starting a thread asking someone to transfer me money and I'd send them a check in the mail, but I know that the trust factor there will probably get in the way, and I know how everyone looks at those types of requests.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:37 PM

Default Re: Can\'t fund my Stars account

Wow, thwarted at every attempt. Long term you're going to need an easy way to deposit and withdraw, and as you know, that means neteller. In your situation, I'd initally fund the account by wire transfer while working with neteller to resolve whatever their concern is.

One problem is that Stars will process your first withdrawal via the same means that you used to deposit (until you get to $1000 or whatever your first deposit is). For simplicity, I'd wait until you're ready to just make a single $1k withdrawal.

This is going to be a bit messy for you for a while but it's worth working through.
Old 10-29-2006, 12:46 PM

If I got the money into my account through transfer from a friend, then would I be free to cash out any way I wanted?
Old 10-29-2006, 12:52 PM

Just wrote Neteller:

My account, which was account #xxxxxxxxxxxx, was recently closed. I had tried to open an account and deposit money, but I had many troubles. I was given a number to call, and I was told over the phone that there were fraud investigations regarding my account. I am extremely confused by all of this. Please let me know what I can do to use your service. Thank you.

Assani Fisher
Old 10-29-2006, 01:50 PM

[censored] it...I have $8 in my account left over from a while ago...I'll just try to work that up to $1000 [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2006, 03:18 PM

U.S. residents cannot use FirePay for online gaming anymore. Deposits to sites were cutoff when the bill was signed and withdrawals went ten days later. FirePay has been very clear on this point.

Probably Stars still takes FirePay from the rest of the world. I wish they wouldn't. I want all sites to make an example out of FirePay for the benefit of others who may imitate them. Thank you to those poker sites that have already dropped FirePay worldwide.

Western Union does not allow gambling deposits online/over-the-phone because of the credit risk. Go to a physical Western Union office with cash in hand and you should not have any problem.

You can use Instant eChecks if you have a bank account. They won't take a very large amount the first time and you will have to learn how much that is by trial-and-error. Keep trying smaller amounts until they take it.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:23 PM

I just learned that their FPP store offers $285 for 25,000 FPPs, which I have...but the way they word it worries me:

"For the first time ever you can use your Frequent Player Points (FPPs) to purchase a PokerStars bonus. Purchase the VIP Reward Bonus from the VIP Store for 25,000 FPPs and we will credit $285 to your account once you have earned 1,995 Base FPPs. This item will remain in the VIP Store until Dec 31st 2006 after which time it will be further reviewed. Pending bonus status may be checked in your Cashier with the "Check My Bonus Status" button."

I think that means that I'll have to earn 1995 points before I get the $285. And since I only have $11(had about $8, got 3rd in a $5 STT in my "quest for $1000" before getting tired of playing low stakes) I can't really earn 1995 points....very frustrating that they'd include this stipulation for no apparent reason.

If I could just get $285 I should be able to build that up to $1000 in a few days.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can use Instant eChecks if you have a bank account. They won't take a very large amount the first time and you will have to learn how much that is by trial-and-error. Keep trying smaller amounts until they take it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my only option now, since I'm in MD.

I first tried $200, but was denied. A popup window from PS Help told me to try multiple $100 deposits, and that worked.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:26 PM

Before even worrying about Stars any more, pull a credit report. Maybe there's nothing odd on it, but then again maybe there's something that shouldn't be there. If there is, you really really want to know. This is pretty easy to do online.
Old 10-29-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just learned that their FPP store offers $285 for 25,000 FPPs, which I have...but the way they word it worries me:

"For the first time ever you can use your Frequent Player Points (FPPs) to purchase a PokerStars bonus. Purchase the VIP Reward Bonus from the VIP Store for 25,000 FPPs and we will credit $285 to your account once you have earned 1,995 Base FPPs. This item will remain in the VIP Store until Dec 31st 2006 after which time it will be further reviewed. Pending bonus status may be checked in your Cashier with the "Check My Bonus Status" button."

I think that means that I'll have to earn 1995 points before I get the $285. And since I only have $11(had about $8, got 3rd in a $5 STT in my "quest for $1000" before getting tired of playing low stakes) I can't really earn 1995 points....very frustrating that they'd include this stipulation for no apparent reason.

If I could just get $285 I should be able to build that up to $1000 in a few days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's just like any other bonus so you need to earn the points before you get the money.