Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2006, 06:09 PM

Default Book Preservation

As is standard, my Theory of Poker is now falling apart. Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep it together/prevent it from getting worse?
Old 10-28-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Book Preservation

I read an old post where someone took there book to kinkos, and for $5 they put it on a spiral bound..... kind of like how some cookbooks are, so you can cook and not have to hold the book open at the same time.
I've never been to kinkos so i don't know, i was going through all the old book/publications posts and i saw a post about broken books.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
kinkos... spiral bound

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a widely used method.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:08 PM

If it's just $5, thats a nice deal to rescue a book.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:41 PM

They could probably laminate the front and back covers while they're at it.
Old 10-29-2006, 03:06 AM

I overheard Mason Malmuth he said that the best way to keep a book in good shape is to buy a new one...... Or was that the Mason down at the Rock Quarry...... I get so confused
Old 10-30-2006, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As is standard, my Theory of Poker is now falling apart. Does anyone have any tips on how I can keep it together/prevent it from getting worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

When my SSHE started falling apart, I carefully pulled each page from the spine, hole punched it and put the entire book in 2 A5 ring binders.

Ian
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When my SSHE started falling apart, I carefully pulled each page from the spine, hole punched it and put the entire book in 2 A5 ring binders.
Ian

[/ QUOTE ]
Another reason to find a Kinko's I guess. That sounds like a pain just to save $5. Did the pages break from the spine easily or did you have to actually tear some of the pages off?
Old 11-04-2006, 11:55 PM

Been lurking at 2plus2 for a while now and decided to post here 1st since I'm a FedexKinko's employee. While the paperback style glue binding of our 2plus2 books is of adequate quality for many reads, we all know that certain books get bible like attention, and it’s just a matter of time before these binds break down. Here are the details on how to order your book rebind from my personal experience.

My company offers several kinds of binds however I would overwhelmingly recommend getting a “Coil Bind”. A lot of people call this a spiral bind which makes sense but some people refer to a “Comb Bind” (which is a less durable plastic comb) as a spiral bind and this will avoid any confusion. Understand the only way for the book to get rebound is for the binding to actually be physically cut off. This means the side spine of the book where the Name/Author would appear will not be visible making it possibly more difficult to locate on a bookshelf. The binding should cost $3.99 and the cut $1.50.

Laminating the covers was recommended and this is not a bad idea. That will really protect the covers and pages well. However you should expect to pay approx $5-$7 additional for this service. As a great cheaper alternative, you can request the book to just be bound with clear vinyl covers for an additional $1. This pretty much works just as well in my opinion and is the way I have done several of my 2plus2 books. Total cost $6.49 plus tax. Expect to drop this off as an order to be picked up later or the next day depending on how busy they are.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop bringing it to the bathroom with you and it should be alright.