Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2006, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Wine pairings

from what I understand light bodied reds like pinot noir and chiantis go best with spicy sauces.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other good Sauternes are Rieussec (2nd best, owned by Lafite), Suduiraut, Farges, Giraud, and Climens (actually a Barsac, rather than a Sauternes).

[/ QUOTE ]
Very small nit alert here - it's spelled Guiraud. The only reason I bother to make the distinction is because there is at least one producer in Burgundy named Giraud and it could cause confusion when talking to wineshops or doing searches. Nonetheless Reynard, your advice in this thread has been of the highest quality.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have the hardest time trying to find a wine to have with spicy food (like pasta with sausage)

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems odd, but spicy food likes sweet wines. A good Riesling or Gewürztraminer is always nice with spicy food. For an example of place that does this really, really well, go to Lotus of Siam in Vegas. They match scorching hot Thai food with outstanding sweet wines.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Quite a number of people here play with blinds larger than the cost of a bottle of Yquem. Wine is not that expensive a hobby as far as expensive hobbies go. (My friends who own boats will attest to that.)

[/ QUOTE ]

In my experience not everyone is crazy about Sauternes. The other properties you mentioned make outstanding products and there'd be little purpose in introducing someone to Sauternes by having them start with D'Yqeum.

The question isn't really cost as much as value. There are many Sauternes which represent very good value but D'Yquem is not among them.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:43 PM

R,

If you haven't read it already, I highly recommend "The Emperor of Wine by Elin McCoy." It is a biography of Robert Parker. Really great book for wine lovers.

I don't know very much at all about French wine, but I'm interested in learning. I'll check out your recommendations. the SF K&L is right around the corner from me, what a great store.
Old 10-28-2006, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The other good Sauternes are Rieussec (2nd best, owned by Lafite), Suduiraut, Farges, Giraud, and Climens (actually a Barsac, rather than a Sauternes).

[/ QUOTE ]
Very small nit alert here - it's spelled Guiraud. The only reason I bother to make the distinction is because there is at least one producer in Burgundy named Giraud and it could cause confusion when talking to wineshops or doing searches. Nonetheless Reynard, your advice in this thread has been of the highest quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew I would get the spelling wrong on at least one of them! I really should look them up. Thanks for the correction.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:39 PM

I mentioned it last year, but if you have access to relatively inexpensive sauternes - you do in SF - a great dessert is pears in sauternes. I substituted some ice wine in it and it is great around the holidays. Get a recipe for it, it is easy and really good, you essentially just bake up some pears in the wine.

To Reynard tho, my wants exceed my budget. This says more about my wants than my budget tho. I saw an interesting article in wine spectator about a guy who collected yquem. He had a great cellar, and a about every year of y'quem. I like those collections where the guy has to ask "which one?" when you ask about an '82 or whatever. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-28-2006, 07:41 PM

HDPM,

Anything to add re: Sauternes in addition to Reynard's comments?

And I must reiterate, go read "The Emperor of Wine" by Elin McCoy ASAP.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:45 PM

I don't get as much sauternes as I envy. It isn't that available around here. And then I see the price for a half bottle and don't get it. So I am not a reliable source, other than to say it is worth drinking. Never had one I hated tho. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I will get that book.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:59 PM

Guys,

If i come back tomorrow with a wine list and a menu from my pub, could you advise which wines will be best paired with all the dishes? I work as a server, and love wine and food, but think getting more opinions before weighing in with wine suggestions would be good.

Sound ok?
Pete