Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 06:44 PM

Default Wine pairings

I know all the standard pairings, like what whites go with with which cream sauces and stuff, but does anyone have any amazing wine and food pairings with specific vinyards and dishes in mind?
Old 10-27-2006, 08:12 PM

Default Re: Wine pairings

I think folks can be intimidated by this topic or just don't know enough about specific wines to post on this thread...

That being said, I made some killer Braised Short Ribs (recipe from a combo of recipes from food network) pair with a gigantic 2001 Cotes du Rhone Syrah from a producer named Le Clos Du Caillou in Souhtern Rhone.

Also, have you heard of the grape Aglianico? There are some great prodcuers one being Feudi di San Gregorio that makes an awesome 2001 vintage (high points in the press) that was a perfect match with a simple grilled ribeye.

I don't drink a lot of California wine...
Old 10-28-2006, 12:16 AM

There aren't too many wine/food pairings that require specific wines and/or vineyards. Usually there is some good substitution.

However ....

Krug and caviar (some of the farmed stuff from CA is really good!).

Get a good quality fois gras. Slice off a piece and sear on both sides. Eat with a good vintage of Yquem - 86, 90, 97, 01. Cheese couse - the Roquefort from Carles with the same Yquem. Rieussec or Suduiraut will do if you can't find Yquem.

Good fresh mushrooms (chanterelles if you can find them) sauteed with shallots in olive oil. Mix with pasta. Stir in fresh goat cheese (Humbolt Fog or something) - pasta should still be hot so the cheese melts and sort of makes a sauce. Drink young sauvignon blanc from New Zealand - Cloudy Bay or the reserves from Villa Maria, etc.

Any vintage of Zind-Humbrecht clos Windsbuhl Gewurztraminer (the Vendage Tardive if available) served with a pork shoulder roast (but not in a sweet sauce).

Young Mosel Riesling from Wehlener Sonnenuhr (the vineyard) with pumpkin or butternut squash. (make a simple soup - pumpkin, onion, water - cook then puree in blender - return to pot and add cream, salt, pepper).

That's enough for now.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:31 AM

ah: I think food/wine pairings are generally overdone. I am a big fan of just drinking what tastes good to you, which varies widely from person to person. The only guideline that I like to follow is that the bigger, dryer wines tend to overwhelm light flavors and do better w/ rich, hearty foods. Similarly, light wines typically taste like water with those foods. Other than that, I think more specific stuff is realy dependent on your tastes. FWIW, tonight I paired a 2001 ZD Rosa Lee Carneros Pinot Noir w/ a Trader Joe's Canneloni and Aidell's Chicken Apple Sausage. Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Reynard: Who are you? You eat good! I don't know what Yquem is, but I'm going to get some so I have a good reason to eat some foie gras and roquefort. And Riesling w/ butternut squash is definitely great - I had some recently w/ a butternut squash ravioli, mmmmmmmmmm.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what Yquem is, but I'm going to get some so I have a good reason to eat some foie gras and roquefort.

[/ QUOTE ]

...you might want to google yourself a price quote on the Chateau D'Yquem before getting your hopes up.

Two great pairings come to min; Prosciutto and white figs paired with a Laurent Perrier champagne and BBQ'd baby back ribs with a Ridge Mataro.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
ah: I think food/wine pairings are generally overdone. I am a big fan of just drinking what tastes good to you, which varies widely from person to person.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldnt agree more.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, tonight I paired a 2001 ZD Rosa Lee Carneros Pinot Noir w/ a Trader Joe's Canneloni and Aidell's Chicken Apple Sausage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Re the canneloni and sausage, are those names brand names, or recipes?

Ive heard of neither, yet love good canneloni, and that sausage sounds yummy.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:30 AM

Tried a wine that was a mix of aglianico and some other grape. It was pretty good actually, definitely gonna try and find more. It didnt go great with what I ordered, but dammit I was in the mood for veal limone so wtv, I just drank some of my friends chardonnay. The aglianico did go nicley with the peppercorn steak however. BYOW restaurants rule
Old 10-28-2006, 11:35 AM

El Diablo: I have been reading 2p2 for a year or so but I haven't posted much. I play 3/6 and 5/10 6-max limit and win enough to comfortably maintain my wine habit (my wife generously allows me to spend *all* my poker winnings on wine and food).

And I know a lot more about wine than I do about poker.

Chateau D'Yquem is a sweet white wine from Bordeaux. "Sauternes" is the appellation. Wonderful stuff and magical with fois gras and good Roquefort. The other good Sauternes are Rieussec (2nd best, owned by Lafite), Suduiraut, Farges, Giraud, and Climens (actually a Barsac, rather than a Sauternes). You want one with 10 years or so of age if you can - good recent vintages are 86, 90, 96, 97, 01.

If I remember, you are in the Bay Area? K+L and Wine Club both should have it in stock. It's expensive but worth it.

klwines.com
thewineclub.com

I checked and wine club has 96 Yquem for 179.99. And half bottles of 97 for 109.99. Those are both good prices - the 97 is better wine.

K+L has several vintages, but pass on the 1991 (shouldn't have been made). They also have 97 Rieussec for 69.99. Which is also a great wine.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know what Yquem is, but I'm going to get some so I have a good reason to eat some foie gras and roquefort.

[/ QUOTE ]

...you might want to google yourself a price quote on the Chateau D'Yquem before getting your hopes up.

Two great pairings come to min; Prosciutto and white figs paired with a Laurent Perrier champagne and BBQ'd baby back ribs with a Ridge Mataro.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite a number of people here play with blinds larger than the cost of a bottle of Yquem. Wine is not that expensive a hobby as far as expensive hobbies go. (My friends who own boats will attest to that.)

Ridge is wonderful. Note to self - buy more Ridge.

You could also try a Franciacorta (Champagne-style wine from Italy) with the Prosciutto and figs - that does sound good.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:54 AM

I have the hardest time trying to find a wine to have with spicy food (like pasta with sausage)

I've heard people suggest a good dry champaign, but thats hard to find in america. I usually go with beer.