Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2006, 02:25 PM

Default Re: Ethical or not?

I strongly avoid playing at the same table as good friends.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I strongly avoid playing at the same table as good friends.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a couple that play similar stakes to me, so it's unavoidable sometimes, especially if we have the same guys buddy-listed. Sharing reads is fine IMO, same with discussing strategy AFTER the hand is played. Anything more than that is unethical.

The idea of softplaying your friends is ridiculous. I want to bust them so bad.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:38 PM

i think if youre out of the hand, there's nothing wrong with discussing strategy as your friend is playing a hand, so long as you don't reveal what cards you had or anything of that nature

assuming you just folded preflop, if you continued in the hand postflop and say folded on the turn and its HU vs donkey on the river, i dont think it would be fair to be giving advice there
Old 10-27-2006, 02:39 PM

If Greenstein gave my opponent advice *during* the play of a hand I was in I would be furious. Its clearly unethical and illegal. I'm not sure where you read about this. I remember one hand I saw at the Borgata where a player was about to much his cards at showdown until his friend who was sitting right beside him (not at the table though) pointed out that it was actually a split pot. The other player in the hand became a bit angry, the floor was called, and the friend was instructed to leave the area. Usually you should worry if something is legal or not before you decide if its unethical (in poker lol).
Old 10-27-2006, 02:41 PM

What about something like you fold, friend stays in pot, hu or multi, flops some sort of draw and gets put all in or decies to move in, bottom line is that before doing so he asks if you want a piece of his action on this one hand? Ethical/Unethical?
Old 10-27-2006, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What about something like you fold, friend stays in pot, hu or multi, flops some sort of draw and gets put all in or decies to move in, bottom line is that before doing so he asks if you want a piece of his action on this one hand? Ethical/Unethical?

[/ QUOTE ]

it would be unethical to answer this question, i just wouldnt respond, and id be somewhat irked he asked me something like that
Old 10-27-2006, 02:44 PM

All are completely unethical in my opinion.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:46 PM

it seems like there are a lot of "fine lines" when it comes to online poker - that's just the nature of the Internet, i guess. my own views are that so long as both players aren't colluding, i.e. sharing cards or making fishy raises to push other players out of pots, most objective advice is fair game.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:49 PM

IMO, also, there is a LARGE grey area for A + B blending together, which is probably why I feel the way I do
Old 10-27-2006, 02:51 PM

Its not really that what your friend is doing is unethical, its more that it *could* be unethical and viewed as collusion. If I was another player in the hand I wouldn't care, but if I was the one offering the bet and someone else at the table objected, I would realize I have to give up on the bet.