Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Bush\'s Big Bluff by Marc Cooper

[ QUOTE ]
There is a reason Bush didn't refuse the bill, two words - "PORT SECURITY"

[/ QUOTE ]Again, government noobs- everyone knows that nothing is put before the White House by the White House's Party without the White House's approval. Not unless it's a huge campaign issue like stem cell research and that only happens like once a decade.

The White House and the Republican Leadership work in concert on legislation. Frist does not put anything into bills that the White House doesn't want, and he and the committee chairs take out anything they don't want.

The rudeness of putting something in that Bush didn't want is not worth it unless, again, it's a huge issue that the public overwhelmingly supports like stem cells. Even then, Frist had to be dragged kicking and screaming to go against the White House.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:28 PM

"nothing is put before the White House by the White House's Party without the White House's approval"

"PORT SECURITY"

"The White House and the Republican Leadership work in concert on legislation. Frist does not put anything into bills that the White House doesn't want, and he and the committee chairs take out anything they don't want."

This doesn't prove your point. This works with what I and others have said in this thread, that Bush wouldn't have a problem with the gambling law, so he'd be okay with it. That doesn't mean he wanted it (pursued it) or pushed for it. It means he didn't resist it. If he says he wants to sign it, it can be b/c it pleases Republican conservatives, b/c it shows unity, etc. I've not seen one piece of evidence that Bush pushed to get this passed. Do you have any evidence to this effect, other than the argument that anything any Republican Congressman pushes, Bush pushes b/c he's the same party? B/c that's simply not true, and for someone calling other people government newbs, in a demeaning, condescending tone, repeatedly, you should know this best.

"The rudeness of putting something in that Bush didn't want..."

It's not that Bush didn't want it. I'm sure he could basically care less. It's that he didn't push it, he wasn't behind its getting attention or getting steam or getting passed. You have shown no evidence to the contrary.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And by Bush he means Frist. No president would veto a bill based on that addendum; he has much greater things to worry about, and has to hope Congress is capable of doing their job. It's not about Bush. It's about Frist, Congress, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you're really clueless, aren't you? Frist and his fascist minions don't take a leak without checking with their Fuhrer in the White House.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:01 PM

Yeah, so Frist checks and sees if it's okay. It's okay, so he gets what he wants. This is about what Frist wanted, not Bush. Just b/c Bush didn't say "no" doesn't mean he was the one pushing it. Of course Frist is going to "check with" Bush, to know if he can get it passed.

You're taking Bush's approval and making it his initiative. You're making it seem like Bush wanted the I-Gaming legislation passed, and that he pushed it. I would like to see evidence of this accusation, other than blanket "dictator" statements.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:21 PM

OP, nice article.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

you make a very good point, but the one place where I will argue is with the two super power thing leading to a cold war. I believe that The Cold War led to the two super power thing. However, that being said, I also believe that the world was a much better place during the Cold War than it is today. At least we knew that the Soviets were rational people dispite their many shortcomings, and even though they weren't really a force for good in any sense of the word, they did provide a system of checks and balances for the United States.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find this quite revolting

[/ QUOTE ]

Imagine that. A person with Catholic Ukrainian ancestry saying good things about the former Soviet Union. That's kind of like a person with Jewish ancestry saying good things about the former Nazi Germany. I can only hope that such a statement would get people to think a little.