Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are the advices on this forum good?
Wow its great 42 17.95%
Some good some pretty bad 152 64.96%
Only a few good, mostly bad. 40 17.09%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2006, 01:57 PM

Default Re: Slowplay this AA?

What's our read on the CO? If he's an uber-donk, then raising to around 1200 is probably better, as he'll probably only be looking at his stack and not realize until after the flop that you're going to be committed to the hand.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:29 PM

Without looking at other replies:

Shove, shove, shove, shove!

You *could* limp, but you'd have to be prepared to shove on any flop no matter what it is. I'd just shove preflop.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Push and it's not close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also

[ QUOTE ]
Raise to 1200. You want action with your AA and 4 times the blind is just that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't listen to a word of this post. We're going to raise 1/3-1/2 our stack? That is SCREAMING 'I want action!!!'. The best way to get action since we've been 'pushing' everyone around is to just push again and hope to get looked up. Raising anything but AI is really dumb. What other hands do fish raise anything but AI with? QQ+, maybe AK, just push and like someone said before

[ QUOTE ]
It's not even close

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-26-2006, 03:53 PM

For starters, let's say that it's not a good play to limp in this spot. Now, I think the play depends entirely on the opponent.

Case 1 - CO limper is a donk.
I like the raise to 1200. It's essential that you maximize the probability of getting action on this AA. If you make a standard raise, donk may be more inclined to call since he's getting a "better price" than a push by you. If he indeed is not an observant or thinking player, he probably doesn't realize that you will be committing all of your chips on any flop or that this play looks exactly like a hand that wants action.

Case 2 - Decent player
If he is semi-decent and/or observant, villain realizes that you understand the play at this level and that 1.) your push probability is relatively high and 2.) your push range is relatively large. Thus, I'd say you're getting looked up a lot here by a pair or AT+.

So, I believe your decision should be based on your impression of this player. With no other information, I would assume 'donk' given the open limp from the CO.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For starters, let's say that it's not a good play to limp in this spot. Now, I think the play depends entirely on the opponent.

Case 1 - CO limper is a donk.
I like the raise to 1200. It's essential that you maximize the probability of getting action on this AA. If you make a standard raise, donk may be more inclined to call since he's getting a "better price" than a push by you. If he indeed is not an observant or thinking player, he probably doesn't realize that you will be committing all of your chips on any flop or that this play looks exactly like a hand that wants action.

Case 2 - Decent player
If he is semi-decent and/or observant, villain realizes that you understand the play at this level and that 1.) your push probability is relatively high and 2.) your push range is relatively large. Thus, I'd say you're getting looked up a lot here by a pair or AT+.

So, I believe your decision should be based on your impression of this player. With no other information, I would assume 'donk' given the open limp from the CO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or case 3 where we only have 10 BB's left and unfavorable flops would really suck and it really doesn't matter what we think of our opponents. I'm happy to get the 2 1/2 BB's in the pot + antes, but the opponents calling range since we have been pushing is large and we are against 3 opponents as of now. If we raise to 1200 and SB calls, the other two are getting odds to call and having AA when we are going to push on the flop anyway against 3 players is not a situation I want to be in. We aren't heads up yet so I think we need to push, HU and this is completely different.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm happy to get the 2 1/2 BB's in the pot + antes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Then you're still going to have a limited number of plays in the playbook and your best opportunity to take risk has passed. I think you need to do everything in your power to maximize the chance of doubling through here, and I don't believe that's an automatic push.

[ QUOTE ]
If we raise to 1200 and SB calls, the other two are getting odds to call and having AA when we are going to push on the flop anyway against 3 players is not a situation I want to be in. We aren't heads up yet so I think we need to push, HU and this is completely different.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said the players are playing tight. Also, SB would be cold-calling around 20% of his stack OOP. I just don't think this is a likely scenario. What are the stakes, OP--perhaps I would change my mind?

If I think CO is calling a push, then I push. If I think he's the type to call a 4x raise but no push, then I am raising 4x.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm happy to get the 2 1/2 BB's in the pot + antes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Then you're still going to have a limited number of plays in the playbook and your best opportunity to take risk has passed. I think you need to do everything in your power to maximize the chance of doubling through here, and I don't believe that's an automatic push.

[ QUOTE ]
If we raise to 1200 and SB calls, the other two are getting odds to call and having AA when we are going to push on the flop anyway against 3 players is not a situation I want to be in. We aren't heads up yet so I think we need to push, HU and this is completely different.

[/ QUOTE ]

He said the players are playing tight. Also, SB would be cold-calling around 20% of his stack OOP. I just don't think this is a likely scenario. What are the stakes, OP--perhaps I would change my mind?

If I think CO is calling a push, then I push. If I think he's the type to call a 4x raise but no push, then I am raising 4x.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG!!! So much thought into a trivially easy play. Anything but AI here is stupid. We actually minimize our EV by not getting it AI. If you want FPS so bad, limp behind and shove any flop. I mean come on!!! We have 10 BB's left, and it would really suck to have a call PF, a missed set and a fold, when we have been pushing often and their calling range is going to be just as big for a 4xBB raise as a 10xBB raise. But by all means, keep betting 40% of your stack when you have AA/KK and shoving more vulnerable hands to 'get the most value' out of AA/KK...
Old 10-26-2006, 05:57 PM

push! even the dullest opponent will be very suspicious with any other move after you've made several ai moves. maybe one of them is getting tired of your bullying and will call.

also, show your aa. this will help give your next few ai moves some respect.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raising anything but AI is really dumb.

[/ QUOTE ] What hands are going to call the AI but fold to the raise? I think giving the CO the option to push makes him more inclined to put his chips in the middle then putting all your chips in and hoping he follows suit.

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't listen to a word of this post.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what exactly is wrong with this statement?
"You can't expect to win a tournament by taking down blinds and limpers everytime you have a premium hand."

[ QUOTE ]
The best way to get action since we've been 'pushing' everyone around is to just push again and hope to get looked up.

[/ QUOTE ]
At what point do you stop pushing AI PF on unraised pots and start playing poker? It's standard to always push AI with less then 10x BB, and for the most part I agree. But OP has exactly 10x BB and is in an interesting situation. For one he has aces, not just AJo. He is also looking for action and shouldn't be satisfied with just stealing the blinds. It isn't like he has AJo with only 7x BB.

Pushing isn't a bad move, just not the optimal move.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:45 PM

i was also wondering what the buy in for this tourney is...

obviously the higher it is the more this is a push