Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Stupid Horse Racing question

Ok, this is a stupid question. Probably why no one has brought it up that I know of.

But is Horse racing not considered a sport? And if it is considered a sport, then wouldnt betting on it be considered sports betting?

I know, I know, there is a carve out for horse racing. Just throwing a new thought out there is all.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Stupid Horse Racing question

Ah but it is socially acceptable sports betting, that has been passed down as an American Tradition as far back as the colonies.

It is as American as apple pie and even though it is gambled on, it could never be sullied by doping horses, bribing jockeys, or anything else nefarious.

Now let me show you this piece of Florida swampland, perfect for your retirement home.....
Old 10-26-2006, 04:08 PM

Default Re: Stupid Horse Racing question

I bet the dog racing industry is pissed off also.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:20 PM

Default Re: Stupid Horse Racing question (More Serious Reply)

A few years back the horse racing industry discovered the joys of simulcasting. Now you can sit at Pimlico and bet on races at Santa Anita. Of course technology in the form of video and audio transmission, call cable, TV, internet, what have you, is key in being able to mingle the bets and transmit the races.

This type of thing was going on in the horse racing industry for years anyway (ever see the movie The Sting?).

Bottom line, Horse racing is legal, the industry has a found a successful way to use the internet to promote more gambling (sorry gambling is immoral) wagering on horses to separate you from your money and the government gets its cut.

Therefore it is legal and exempted. The real key, government gets its cut.