Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 01:38 AM

Default Flopped straight, deep enough to fold?

Home game
PLO
Blinds: $0.50/$0.50
4 players

Stack sizes:
SB: $500
BB: $30
UTG: $350
BTN: $120

Pre-flop: (4 players) Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB checks.

Flop: Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($2, 4 players)
SB bets $2, BB raises to $8, Hero raises to $32, Button raises to $120 (all in), SB raises pot, BB calls all in, Hero ???

This is at the tail end of an all-night session of pot-limit dealer calls. SB is short enough to ignore. Button is a very solid player, but does like to gamble in situations like this. He could have as little as one pair and a big flush draw. SB is drunk, tilted, and on a suicide mission, but he knows that button and I are very solid players and both sober. He isn't making a move here - he has a hand. It is at least a set or smaller straight, and could be as great as A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Jx, KQQJ, etc. He looked at the board for about 5 seconds before making his bet, which I read as the "do this quickly before I change my mind" tell.

Assuming that SB always covers me, how deep do I need to be to fold?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:47 AM

Default Re: Flopped straight, deep enough to fold?

i dont fold the nuts at .5/.5 ever.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:51 AM

lol, fold

and fold preflop
Old 10-25-2006, 02:14 AM

So you think $350 is too deep to continue. I'd say that $50 is definately a call. Where between $50 and $350 is the line, and why?
Old 10-25-2006, 01:42 PM

Every second week someone posts a hand like this "should I fold the nuts here"?, this is one of the only ones where you clearly should. Also fold preflop and just call when it comes to you the first time on the flop.

To answer your last question -- if you play this hand the same way up to now, it's marginal if you have about $120 at the start of the hand.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:39 PM

First off how does that much money get into a .5/.5 game! Talk about some deep stack PLO. Anyways, yes clear fold hear, yes u have the nuts but it is quite obvious that someone also has the nuts with huge redraws such as flushes, higher str8, or draws to a full boat. Especially this deep stacked easy fold with that much action, the best you can hope for is to chop the pot or you could lose your stack not a very good EV imo. Even playin KJ22 is sketchy in early position, however it is 4 handed and if you got good post flop skillz you could pull it off.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 PM

easy easy fold. don't think "i have the nuts". Think "What is the equity of my hand against the others?" you have none.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:41 AM

Default Results

Thanks everyone.

After some consideration, I showed my KJ. SB looked genuinely sad that he had gotten himself into this situation so I moved in. I figured even if I was in deep trouble for the first side pot (~300) I had a good shot at side pot 2 with SB (~500.)

SB had QTTx, BB had the nut flush draw, Button had a smaller flush and smaller straight draw. Sadly another Q fell on the river.

This game often plays this deep when it comes together. We usually buy 50-100 when it starts, and then several players insist on matching their opponents stacks. If the game goes more than 3 hours there are often several +$500 stacks.