Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 07:41 AM

Default Re: Why do poker players seem to think they are great?

[ QUOTE ]
It's natural. You're playing a people game that takes a great deal of intelligence, and a lot of the more serious players are smart guys. They've never been the dumb guy in the room in their life, so naturally if they find a few things that work at the table they're going to feel pretty brilliant. I use to be the same way (mind you, I was a bad player, and am only now starting to become decent).

What's more interesting is that in my case, and with a lot of others, the better they get the more humble they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you are saying in a nutshell is;

I used to think I was great......

.....But now I realise I used to be rubbish.......

....Now I think I'm great......

Seems like a vicious circle or something, I think a ton of people have the same problem (myself included).

Mack
Old 10-25-2006, 09:51 AM

roffle, this one time i was playing this live tourney. and this table captain was showing off by giving everyone advice as to how one should have played his hand and stuff. really annoying human being he was. anyway late in tourney one guy raises utg 10handed. and our hero pushes all in while he was table chip leader. guy thinks and calls and turns over QQ and our hero turns over J7 offsuit. rofl. after that he shut up. fking idiot.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:33 PM

I see the same thing too, mostly live at B&Ms and home games.

With the luck factor, even people that don't really know what they are doing can have a winning session or two. They win a couple of home games with their buddies or make a big bluff or catch two pair with their King-rag (suited!), etc. and all of a sudden, they are "good."
Old 10-25-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's natural. You're playing a people game that takes a great deal of intelligence, and a lot of the more serious players are smart guys. They've never been the dumb guy in the room in their life, so naturally if they find a few things that work at the table they're going to feel pretty brilliant. I use to be the same way (mind you, I was a bad player, and am only now starting to become decent).

What's more interesting is that in my case, and with a lot of others, the better they get the more humble they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you are saying in a nutshell is;

I used to think I was great......

.....But now I realise I used to be rubbish.......

....Now I think I'm great......

Seems like a vicious circle or something, I think a ton of people have the same problem (myself included).

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the key point is, he's always great currently. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I see the same thing too, mostly live at B&Ms and home games.

With the luck factor, even people that don't really know what they are doing can have a winning session or two. They win a couple of home games with their buddies or make a big bluff or catch two pair with their King-rag (suited!), etc. and all of a sudden, they are "good."

[/ QUOTE ]

i love those kind of players. Because they're the kind to think, "I'll call this hand cause I always win with it"

Or "I hit my fd loads"
Old 10-26-2006, 04:03 AM

It's a defense mechanism. Even the best players lose large sums of money sometime in their career. You've got to think that you have an edge to not worry about losses. Come back after you've lost a small house or a new luxury car playing poker then speculate why players think they are good at the game.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:12 AM

A self-serving bias occurs when people are more likely to claim responsibility for successes than failures. It may also manifest itself as a tendency for people to evaluate ambiguous information in a way beneficial to their interests.
Old 10-26-2006, 05:30 AM

The difference between all the losers who think they are good and me is........

I'm the best thing since triglycerides baaaby
Old 10-26-2006, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a perfect example of this. I used to be a very arrogant, bad player, but now i'm an extremely humble incredible player.

[/ QUOTE ]

umm sure.