Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 08:09 AM

Default Re: Suggestions for changes to PokerStars VIP freerolls thread

I like the current weekly tourneys, just make them turbos please.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:33 AM

Stars would be losing money if they changed to OP's idea. I'm goldstar and don't think I have ever played in any of the freerolls for over a year. That'd be at least $28 a month using OP's suggestion and about $300 a year. I have no idea how many goldstars are like me, but I think it's safe to say a couple hundred, and add platinums and even silvers to that and they're losing hundreds of thousands a year. They prob realized most people won't bother wige large field low prize buyins so will not be implementing this.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Silver - $2500 (1900 players) = $2
Gold - $5000 (900 players) = $5
Platinum - $7500 (400 players) = $18
Supernova - $22,500 (300 players) = $75

Monthy $100,000 (1000 players) = $100

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't be happy with those numbers, because monthly apart (which has at least 2 and half times as many entrants as that) they're much lower than they used to be (and I suspect than Stars budgeted them to be in per player terms) since the FPP changes for the extra points with higher rake, and that'll be even more drastic once the effect is felt from the shorthanded /nl changes. More vips is good for everyone, but I hope that the freeroll equivalent values get adjusted accordingly.
Old 10-25-2006, 08:56 AM

Not really sure what youre saying [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] If the monthly normally has twice as many players, then the actual value would be half or only $50. Thats worse then the 'value' I suggested.

The more people that enter a freeroll, the less value it holds, unless they increase the prize. They have not increased the prize pools since inception (except nova which was designed that way).

Yes it is true that more people will be achieving higher levels, due to both fpp rake adjustment and influx of new players. Without increasing the freeroll amount the current situation is due to get a whole lot worse. Thus I assume the planned changes for 2007.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 AM

I recently won the Silver VIP Freeroll. Granted it was a nice score. But honestly, I can't see myself playing in it again because the time investment for what could easily be a meaningless cash is just not worth it for me at this point in time. I just played it this past month for some free MTT practice and got further than I anticipated.

I understand however that I'm not the target audience for such a freeroll.

I don't multi-table, so SilverStar is most likely all I'll ever be. I may have my 6-year old son play in it next month however. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2006, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Stars would be losing money if they changed to OP's idea. I'm goldstar and don't think I have ever played in any of the freerolls for over a year. That'd be at least $28 a month using OP's suggestion and about $300 a year. I have no idea how many goldstars are like me, but I think it's safe to say a couple hundred, and add platinums and even silvers to that and they're losing hundreds of thousands a year. They prob realized most people won't bother wige large field low prize buyins so will not be implementing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are implying that Stars offers these freerolls as an illusion. That they are trying to lure in players with as little payout as possible. You could be right.

However, I is my belief that Stars is really trying to provide a benefit to its loyal players. I don't think they are intentionally trying to screw players by offering lowball events they don't think people will show up for.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not really sure what youre saying [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] If the monthly normally has twice as many players, then the actual value would be half or only $50. Thats worse then the 'value' I suggested.

The more people that enter a freeroll, the less value it holds, unless they increase the prize. They have not increased the prize pools since inception (except nova which was designed that way).

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, and as far as I remember the monthly regularly has close to if not over 2000 entrants (might be well over but it's certainly not as low as 1000) so the value there is indeed lower than you cited.

My point is that the values have remained the same basically because Stars must have thought, seasonal fluctuations aside that there would be a pretty constant number of entrants month by month, whereas with Supernova obviously they knew that the numbers would increase every month. When the first changes in vpp earning rates came in half way through the year the numbers increased across the board and everyone who was already at each level lost in value (but obviously gained it though increased fpps) that's a trade off I'm happy to make but I'm not sure Stars intended it that way, of course with the new changes that loss in value is only going to be more dramatic. I think the freeroll values for this year have been fixed because that was the plan all along. What I am saying is I hope Stars go back to whatever values they had originally planned when they fix whatever they were going to do for next year.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Obviously, and as far as I remember the monthly regularly has close to if not over 2000 entrants (might be well over but it's certainly not as low as 1000) so the value there is indeed lower than you cited.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may very well be true, I haven't played one yet. There were about 800 something Gold freeroll players last week. All these players (which includes higher levels) are qualified. I just guesstimated another 200 entrants from the silver vip qualifiers. I could imagine there being 5x as many.

However, you haven't stated how you feel about my suggestion.

Lets just suppose that Stars accountants expect 2000 players a month in their 100,000 freeroll. Basically, this a $50 buy in tourney for player.

Would you rather have this exclusive freeroll opportunity each, or be given $50T to use on the tournament of your choice, accumalte for big tourneys or WSOP/WPT packages, or trade for cash?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Lets just suppose that Stars accountants expect 2000 players a month in their 100,000 freeroll. Basically, this a $50 buy in tourney for player.

Would you rather have this exclusive freeroll opportunity each, or be given $50T to use on the tournament of your choice, accumalte for big tourneys or WSOP/WPT packages, or trade for cash?

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally speaking what I'm most concerned about is the actual value and how that's eroded through the year, the actual format is of slightly lesser importance. That being said more flexibility would obviously be great and I'm keen on this suggestion and others like it. Losing out on the freerolls altogether because they are not convenient is not great, especially the Supernova one.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:01 AM

I like the current system also but this T$ idea is attractive. I am with Dave. Just about anything of vlaue is appreciated and I am going to be flexible and find a way to take advantage of whatever Stars offers.

I know Stars talked some about about changing the freerols but they didn't tip their hand on what they had in mind.

Anyone from Stars care to discuss your thoughts and plans so far on the changes?