Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 06:29 PM

Default Best way to build a small roll through MTTs?

Hi this is my first post, but I've been lurking for a while absorbing all this information. I used to whore bonuses, but because I am a U.S. player its not really an option for me. So basically I've withdrew all my money from everywhere and left about $300 in my Stars account. I was wondering what advice could anyone give with trying to build up this limited roll (kinda paranoid about investing more due to all this US legislations goin on) through MTTs, Sit n gos, or satellites? I guess what I mean is what do you think are the softest games on the site? I read through a bunch of posts and it seems like a lot of people like the 4/180s and the rebuy satellites. Just curious to your thoughts. Thank you.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Best way to build a small roll through MTTs?

The 4/180's are definitely soft and good for roll-building.

I also like the 45-man SNGs on Stars, the turbos are great if you want to play a MTT in like an hour, plus they have way less variance than normal MTTs. These are how I built what roll I have.

They are also running 300 Max tourneys now, IN all shapes and colors (NLHE, PLHE, PLO8, PLO, 6-max)that are in the 7-9 dollar range.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:50 PM

I was big fan of the $3(R) on PS, my ROI was thru the roof in this tourney. But that tournament isn't offering as many seats as it used to. The $11 DS are great for BR building. Satellites have a flatter payout meaning that it's more dificfult to go thru a long dry spell. A perfect solution for a small BR.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:55 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Do you think itd be worth playing a sattelite and trying to get into a bigger event and try to place well? Or should I just be pounding away at these $5 tourneys until I build a bigger roll before I play these bigger events? Just curious to your thoughts. Thanks again for the replies.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info guys. Do you think itd be worth playing a sattelite and trying to get into a bigger event and try to place well? Or should I just be pounding away at these $5 tourneys until I build a bigger roll before I play these bigger events? Just curious to your thoughts. Thanks again for the replies.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can play sats for T$, which can be used for tournaments and sold. If you play sats dont play in the event with your roll, unreg for the T$. PERSONALLY, Id say go the SNG route, learn ICM and grind the $3 turbos, any MTTs you're actually rolled for are huge fields and high variance for relatively little payout since theyre all 20% payout structure.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I also like the 45-man SNGs on Stars, the turbos are great if you want to play a MTT in like an hour, plus they have way less variance than normal MTTs. These are how I built what roll I have.

They are also running 300 Max tourneys now, IN all shapes and colors (NLHE, PLHE, PLO8, PLO, 6-max)that are in the 7-9 dollar range.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that you say the turbos have less variance than a normal, slower, MTT structure? How come ?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting that you say the turbos have less variance than a normal, slower, MTT structure? How come ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because they're 45-man fields instead of 300+ fields?
Old 10-25-2006, 06:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And once you learn to pushbot with mathematical precision, the standard deviation and likelihood of positive ROI is drastically less than it would be with bigger fields.

Mornin', ladies and gentlemen.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I thought you meant that turbos had less variance than normal slower structures.
For the same no. of entrants though say 18 man turbo vs. 18 man normal SNG OR 300 man turbo MTT vs. 300 man slow MTT, the turbos must have greater variance.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I thought you meant that turbos had less variance than normal slower structures.
For the same no. of entrants though say 18 man turbo vs. 18 man normal SNG OR 300 man turbo MTT vs. 300 man slow MTT, the turbos must have greater variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a good handle on how to play a turbo (correct pushbotting strategy, etc.), I think you'd be surprised at how small the difference in variance actually is, albeit the turbos definitely have more... just not much more.

Plus, if we are talking MT SNGs here, your hourly rate is higher in turbos than in normal blind speed MT SNGs, just due to the fact that you can play an entire 45-man turbo in just a bit over an hour.