Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Pokertracker stats

I been playing poker for some months now without trying to get reads on my opponents or trying to use all the usefull information that pokertracker have. I have been making some nice money during the time bonuswhoring like crazy but I now came to the conclusion that maybe its time to acctually learn to play poker =) During my bonuswhoring time I also aquired alot of poker books that now have arrived home so I have started to read some low limit books, and I also made my first "hand post" here on the microlimits forum to try and get myself to think a little more about the game.

I checked around the forum to try and get some information about what PT stats that are good to have in Acehud or other programs while you play to get some "statistic reads" or what ever you can call it. But I didnt find any good threads so feel free to post me so nice links if you know any. Or write what PT stats that are usefull when playing and how it can be of some use, somewhat like this:

PFR% - A player who raises with a small PFR% you can lay down most hands against, while a player that got a high PFR% you might call with AJo even that you usually fold it to a raise since its easy dominated (now I dont know if this is true just an exampel)

I hope you understand what I mean and that I didnt overlook alot of usefull posts in the forum search. But who knows... afterall Im a moron!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Pokertracker stats

There's a Greg J post that's either in this forum, the zoo, or software called "Show us your HUD" or "Show us your PAHUD," something like that. In it, people posted many screen shots of what they have and some discussion of why.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:22 PM

I would first point you to the stickied micro FAQ. There is a large section on stats in general related to PT.

One last thing, please continue to get your "real" reads on players by taking notes on what they do at the table and do not rely on PT stats as a "read"
Old 10-24-2006, 07:04 PM

OP

FWIW: I love my PT,PAHUD, and all the stats they generate and display. All of the information has value but I would counsel you not to let that value stand alone when trying to predict your opponents.

Table makeup for example. 3 Loose aggro knotheads when averaged with 6 or 7 "rocks" can lead you to believe the table will play the same as a full ring of tight P/A players. Not even close.

Play each player by what you have seen as well as their stats. And skew partial reads towardnormal. Remember that in most cases their stats are on very few hands. If I don'thave them on at least a couple of hundred hands I tend to move my situational expectations toward "average or good player" at the $/$ level being played and away from the story the stats tell.

Spend more time reviewing the hands you have played than ruminating over your stats. Look for errors and if not sure post the hand. If you know a stat is out of line. Move carefully. For example it you think your AF is too low and you need to play more aggressively. Dig deeper into which streets you might have a problem, compare your actions from replaying the hands with the recommendations you read in posts, DO NOT adopt a raise or fold mentality just to "move" your stats. Calling can be the best and most "aggressive" option in some situations.

Antyway he point is not to make a long windy post, just to assure you your stats have great value if used carefully and in concert with your other information sources.

And as someone who is still on the learning curve I urge you not to over react to achieve change or expect the cart to pull the horse. Grow in knowledge and your stats will change.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:57 PM

Welcome, Im gunna assume you are relatively new to Pokertracker and HUDs.

I'd like to make a few points
1. as bravos says, many of the key stats are discussed in the FAQ at the top of this forum
2. generally real reads > stat reads
3. You need to make sure you know what the stats mean, let me expand on that

What I mean is that having a PT a HUD is great and all that jazz but you need to go through the learning curve of working out what stats really mean, for example an aggression factor of 2 for a 18/8 guy is NOT the same as an aggro of 2 for a 60/20 guy.

Now, I just dont think it is possible to learn how to intpret stats well in real time whilst playing unless you have put in the grunt work by spending time working on your game and all that stuff.

For me, I really found that a good starting point is to get to know my own stats and relate them to how I play....I also know what my stats used to be and how I used to play so I can see the progression in my game and the changes in my stats.

As an example, my PFR used to be 7-8%. It is now consistently 10+. Why is it higher now...because I used to play by the book ABC preflop poker using a SSH chart. Now I isoraise more and I steal more. How do I use this information at the table? Well when I encounter a raise from an 18/7 PFRer I am able to put myself in his shoes (assume a reasonable sample size**) and work out what range he might have based on what I see of his stats and make (hopefully) the right play. Similarly for a 18/11 dude who makes the same play.....the some hands can go from a fold to a raise based on these two villians if I am confident in the VPIP/PFR stats I see.

** BE CAREFUL ABOUT HOW MUCH IMPORTANCE YOU PUT ON STATS WHEN YOU HAVE A SMALL SAMPLE SIZE. Some stats converge quickly whereas others are quite useless unless they are over alot of hands.

You can also eventually go to the next level when reading table stats and individual stats together...here is an example. You are looking at a table in the lobby of a pokersite that shows table VPIP is 35% and average pot size of 7BB. You see that there are 6 known tight players at the table and 4 unknowns.......would you sit at this table with these 6 supposed tags? can you spot the fish? If I see this (assuming that all players have been there for quite a while) I clamber for a seat since I will be reasonably sure that the fish/maniacs/lagtards are the players I DONT have stats on and if the table VPIP is 35% and there are 6 players with sub 20% VPIP then those fish are goingg to be live ones and I will try and get a seat where I can isolate them [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

So I recommend you just go with a somewhat standard HUD setup (eg VPIP, PFR, Aggression factors, hands played), work on your game, make use of this forum and continue on your way up the learning curve. Once you learn more about the stats youll get a better feel as to what stats you want to know at the table.

cheers

ozi

ps I wonder if down the track, you will regret your choice of name here on 2+2? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]