Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2006, 02:36 PM

Default Re: 10NL : Badly played AJ

I bet/fold. I hate it, but I don't think we are getting the right price, and the implied odds aren't there. I pick a better spot.

Brian
Old 10-24-2006, 02:40 PM

you played this hand fine. only very small changes in how i would play it:

raise to 0.35 or 0.4 preflop. you are OOP and 0.5 makes it a slightly larger pot than you should be comfortable with. of course, this depends on your usual raising standards, but for me, i'd make it 3.5-4x bb.

bet more on the flop. about 1.15-1.25. $1 into a 1.5 pot is too small to gain a lot of information about his hand because its a relatively weak looking bet.

bet $3 on the turn. very strong looking bet and if he raises now, then you can be almost sure he has a flush. if he min-raises, you should still have odds to call.

check or block the river is fine. after he pushes, you really need to think about what he's done in the past. he knows you don't have a flush so he could very well be pushing a smaller jack. this could very well be a call in the right circumstances.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:44 PM

I'm not looking for a fight. I'm new to NL, so this is a serious question.

Do you immediately discount a flopped set? What range can we put villain on here when he calls the flop and raises the turn? I know people love easily donminated hands like K-J and Q-J, and they quite often overplay them.

Brian
Old 10-24-2006, 02:49 PM

sets are possible, but i'd expect them to raise on a draw heavy board. if he DID have a set, whats with the small raise on the turn when the scare card comes? what not see if the board pairs on the river, or see how hero decides to act?

in short, not raising the flop and making a tiny raise on the turn are what leads me to think a set is less likely. i wanna note that if the turn was a total blank and he made a small raise, i really start to expect a set.

on the other hand, i expect K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], and T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] to be played EXACTLY as villian played it.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I'm just wondering if you guys realize I have the A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]
Didn't notice that. Then your line is fine.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Do you immediately discount a flopped set? What range can we put villain on here when he calls the flop and raises the turn? I know people love easily donminated hands like K-J and Q-J, and they quite often overplay them.

Brian

[/ QUOTE ]

Flopped set is one of the possibilities, a lot of players will reraise the turn when the flush cards hit to see where they stand with a set. Remember this is 10NL and villain can have just about everything without reads. Range on turn is probebly some funky two pair, flush or set or a weaker J/x.. in other words a huge range and most of the time when you get reraised on the turn you are either wa/wb. You've got the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] so I calling his minraise is a good play here and the river fold is obvious. You played it fine..

I play 10NL and 25NL myself and most of the time a turn raise means the guy has you beat. If you did not have the A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and you're thinking he might have KJ or QJ I'd rather wait for a better spot to get my money in. Playing ABC TAG Poker works fine on these levels.

My question is for the rest of you is, am I giving Villain a too broad handrange here?
Old 10-24-2006, 03:07 PM

given it's 3 handed, i think your hand range is either perfect or too small. how often does villian have nothing but decides to bluff (albiet badly) the turn card? you can't say never. hands like K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] will often play the same way. many times the villian has a medium strength hand and raises small to make you check the river for a free showdown. and after you check the 2nd jack, EVERY jack pushes on the river. the river is not an auto fold.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:39 PM

Villain is 33/6.3 with a 0.7 total agression factor over 111 hands.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:47 PM

In that case you played it fine.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain is 33/6.3 with a 0.7 total agression factor over 111 hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
You didn't think that this was useful info for your original post?