Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 08:35 AM

Default 200 BB\'s down in my first 3k hands in 1/2 - stats

I recently tried to jump to 1/2 full ring for the first time. The bonuses clear much faster and I feel comfortable that I beat .5/1 already. Well, this hasn't been going according to my plan...

I know 3k hands is a ridiculously small amount but I also know that the odds for having a 200 BB downswing IMMEDIATELY after changing limits is really unlikely so therefore it's likely I've caused this all by myself.

Any advice would be appreciated, I know I have leaks. For example I know I should have a higher VPIP but I can't seem to find places where to play more without cold-calling really speculatively. I must admit that I put some of the blame on variance since my premium hands' winrate is awful in 1/2 and that could explain some of that awful "won at showdown" stat.

I know that I should study books, study hands that are posted here, post my own hands and participate in session reviews. I've done all that. I just hope you could point something out from my stats since this is quite a hit to my morale and self-confidence.

Ps. I know I suck at internet boards, images etc. but hopefully my post isn't a complete mess.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:21 AM

Default Re: 200 BB\'s down in my first 3k hands in 1/2 - stats

Variance happens sometimes when you switch and its tough because it's a double cost to you. Happened to me twice and probably a lot of it is because of emotional play affecting performance.

So the key comes from having a strong battle plan of attack for each session by knowing your opponents as well as possible by picking the best seat and table you can.

Without knowing your opponents stats and the table stats it's not easy to pick out holes per se in your play.

I find 1/2 to be a really nitty level with a lot more rocks than the lower level specifically because of the bonus status you mentioned.

So with that in mind I think your steal numbers are low and your defense numbers are low but winning 25% of your steal attempts at showdown means you have really bad luck or are sitting in the wrong seats.

You also have a huge drop off on the turn and river from your aggression on the flop, so I would look at your continuation betting a bit to see if that is where the problem lies.

Post some hands from these sessions that are questionable in your mind after you analyzed your own play and see if there is something out of sync.

Also compare hands with how you played them at lower lvls....sometimes you call bets that you use to raise because of the money.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:39 AM

I don't know why people think that by posting a few numbers, at least 75% of which are meaningless, that people can instantly divine all their problems, reverse their bad luck, and transform them into perfect poker players. The only real leaks that can be found in these numbers over this sample are in your VPIP, PFR, and maybe aggression. I'd say your flop aggression looks a little high, but that could mean so many different things at this stage that I don't know what to say.

In all probability, you're not very good at poker, and there's nothing that's going to fix that outside of lots of hard work. This forum is littered with new players looking for easy answers to make them better. The only thing that will instantly make a bad player better is a preflop chart, but you've pretty much got that in order. The rest is all hard work that can only come with experience and getting beat up on the board here. Respond to more hands and try to give good advice with complete reasoning, and prepare to get assaulted with people telling you you're all wrong. Welcome it. That's when you get better. You shouldn't even be looking to respond to the posts that you know you'll get right. Respond to the ones that you think you might, or even know you will get wrong.

Actually, I lied. There's one other thing that is in fact an instant fix. Don't tilt. Take a break if you must, and stop playing when it gets bad.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:45 AM

Thanks Smurph for the comment. I agree with your comment that 1/2 is a lot more nittier but I've tried to compensate that by stealing a bit more often than in .5/1. Stealing is still something that I need to work on. Seat selection isn't something that I've been doing because I've been mostly playing at Prima and there's usually a huge waiting list to every table so once I get to play I just take whatever seat is available. It would need a lot of preparations and time to actually get a particularly good seat so I don't think that's going to be much of a help at this point.

I know there's a gap in my agression between the flop and the turn. I should probably pick my continuation bet spots a little bit better so that I don't bet every flop and when I do and I should fire another one on the turn given the action of course. Good advice anyhow.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know why people think that by posting a few numbers, at least 75% of which are meaningless, that people can instantly divine all their problems, reverse their bad luck, and transform them into perfect poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I say something like this anywhere in my post? On the contrary, I said I know there isn't a whole lot you can say about stat posts (especially with such a low number of hands) but I was hoping for some additional comments/hints like Smurph gave me.

I don't need a lecture for taking an easy way out here because I said I'm doing the things you say in the OP already. This is just something extra on top of that. Do I get a life-changing piece of advice? No, but this probably can't hurt me either. But as jaded as you could be considering your post count and time spent here, thanks for replying.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:45 PM

You might take the time to read some of MrWookies posts before you devalue them. Or not if you are satisfied with where your are.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't need a lecture for taking an easy way out here because I said I'm doing the things you say in the OP already. This is just something extra on top of that. Do I get a life-changing piece of advice? No, but this probably can't hurt me either. But as jaded as you could be considering your post count and time spent here, thanks for replying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good Lord why do you post BBV crap expecting to get no valuable information then complain, to the moderator no less, that he doesn't have to tell you that you won't get any valuable information? Why do you think you were any good at .5/1? Because you won some money over a month of hands? Everyone on this board has had a 200+ bb run in less hands than your post, both plus and minus. Almost everyone on this board knows what variance is and knows that it can happen at any time, even, God forbid, right when you switch levels. As far as your stats go, read the faq.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:56 PM

OK, I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread since OP's gotten out of it everything he's asked for, and is just asking to get flamed more.
Closed Thread