Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 07:44 AM

Default (22) JJ OOP

Butchered this hand, comments/criticisms on all streets welcome.

PartyPoker, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) Converter on pregopoker.com

UTG (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
MP1 (t800)
MP2 (t800)
MP3 (t800)
CO+1 (t800)
CO (t800)
Button (t800)
SB (t800)
Hero (t800)

Preflop: Hero is in BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
<font color="gray">UTG folds</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, <font color="gray">MP1 folds</font>, <font color="red">MP2 raises to t45</font>, <font color="gray">MP3 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO+1 folds</font>, <font color="gray">CO folds</font>, <font color="gray">Button folds</font>, <font color="gray">SB folds</font>, Hero calls t30, UTG+1 calls t30

Flop: (t145) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
<font color="red">Hero bets t70</font>, <font color="gray">UTG+1 folds</font>, MP2 calls t70

Turn: (t285) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets t75</font>, Hero calls t75

River: (t435) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="red">MP2 bets t200</font>, <font color="gray">Hero folds</font>
Old 01-31-2006, 08:05 AM

Default Re: (22) JJ OOP

I'd just check/fold the flop. One of them could easily have a king and he won't lay it down.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:15 AM

Folding is too weak. Check raising puts too much money in the pot. The other options I'm fine with. I think check call and checking the turn gets you quite a lot of information. Leading is fine too, but you need to lead out for more - say the whole pot. The problem with leading for 70 is that the raiser is probably calling with everything except an underpair to tens and then on the turn you're going to be in an awkward spot. If you lead out, you want there to be a decent chance the raiser is folding non-king hands. Otherwise I'd rather go passive and check call. His bet size on the turn should tell you what to do. This line also has the advantage that if UTG+1 bets, you can fold.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:46 AM

This is how I would have played it:
-Correct play preflop. A call is reasonable with JJ.
-I'd bet a little stronger on the flop, say an even 100. If he hasn't hit the king, he would be wise to fold.
-If I get a call I'll check-fold on the turn, with two overcards to my jacks.
-What could he be holding to call your bet? AK beats you, so does AA-TT. Sure he could be on a long-shot draw with AQ or Ace-anything, but do you really want to lose that much to find out?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:32 PM

I think you played it great. My c-bet would have been slightly more, t75-t90. On the turn, you have odds to draw to an OESD, so that's a good call. On the river, you're probably beaten and your draw has not filled in, so I'd fold.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:19 PM

So essentially, getting away from this head of impossible, and losing 1/4 on the 2nd hand of the tournament was inevitable?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:28 AM

Sometimes I just push preflop with JJ and hope. Sometimes I reraise preflop to like 200 and take the lead. Sometimes I play it really slow. If I play it really slow, my bonus is that if an overcard comes, I get to fold it really cheap and forget about it. Either build up a big pot and don't ever fold, or check and fold the flop and lose a small pot and move on.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:45 AM

Let us say that the hero raised preflop to 200 and was called. What would be his move on the flop?

Do you vary your play because of whim or is there some strategic reason for it?
Old 02-01-2006, 01:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding is too weak.

[/ QUOTE ]
What the hell? Preflop is fine, flop is a C/F. This is not weak, this is standard.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:09 AM

modnareno - pushing JJ early in a tournie against unknown opps is at least &lt;$EV than not pushing them, if not -$EV overall, which I think it is.