Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Little Difference Between Fundamentalist Christians And Muslims

I have a feeling that if the OP and the others that agree with him spent a month in Rihyad (sp?) and a month in Lancaster County, PA., they would probably think differently about the nature of FCs and Muslims.

I believe that the kind of Christians that the OP is speaking about are probably the militia types, who are actually closer in their beliefs of the Old Testament (Torah) Israelites. The fact that they also believe in Jesus is more of an artifact of their childhood upbringing. You will no doubt find this type of FC quoting the Torah more than the New Testament.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:16 PM

I need u to define FC.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a feeling that if the OP and the others that agree with him spent a month in Rihyad (sp?) and a month in Lancaster County, PA., they would probably think differently about the nature of FCs and Muslims.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, Amish != Muslims in this debate.

Think about Bible Belt evangelists and hypocritical silk-underwear leeches in Washington.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:14 PM

I suggest you go hang with Osama for a while and then let us know.

Seriosly, as hypocritical as some Christians are, do you guys really think they are anywhere on the same level as the people trying to kill all Americans? If so, you have really lost your ability to make an objective and coherent decision.

I mean, even the IDIOTS and I mean IDIOTS who said that American soldiers deserved to die blah blah blah and made me cringe because of the image it portrays of Christians arent bombing embassies and flying planes into buildings.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:53 PM

As accurate as the books are from a mathematical standpoint, you simply have missed the mark here...your attempt to draw a parallel between the two has met with negative results. This is a very disappointing post from someone who's thoughts I value quite a bit...do a little more research next time before throwing such a crazy opinion out there

ronster71
Old 10-23-2006, 09:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suggest you go hang with Osama for a while and then let us know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Grew up knowin' moderate Muslims and becomin' pretty good friends with a couple of 'em. What's your point, Tar Heel?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:34 PM

There's a huge difference between the two groups.

The Fundamentalist Christians from an atheist perspective have set of irrational beliefs A (also influenced by cultural conditions A'). The radical muslims have set of irrational beliefs B (influenced by cultural conditions B'). There may be some commonality in the set of beliefs A and B but the commonality is small subset of the total belief system. The behavior of group A (specifically the willingness to kill) is not just a nudge away from the behavior of group B.

In the US we have a strong cultural value of freedom of religion and seek to regard all religious beliefs as allowed in our society. From an atheist's point of view all religions share a certain amount of irrationality. One religion may be out to save everyone else in the world by preaching to them or praying for them or giving food to the poor along with a sermon. But here's the distinction : When a religion starts preaching that it's followers should go out and kill people there is a problem. And very clearly there is one religion that is doing that much moreso than all others. The world needs to acknowledge this and deal with this because the entire world is experiencing this problem (US, Middle East, Europe, Africa and also many places in Asia). I hope atheists in the US can clearly understand this point.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But here's the distinction : When a religion starts preaching that it's followers should go out and kill people there is a problem. And very clearly there is one religion that is doing that much moreso than all others. The world needs to acknowledge this and deal with this because the entire world is experiencing this problem (US, Middle East, Europe, Africa and also many places in Asia). I hope atheists in the US can clearly understand this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like using terms like "axis of evil" to justify a pre-emptive strikes that results in more than half a billion innocents being killed? I am sure most atheists in the US understand this point.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am sure most atheists in the US understand this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and that history repeats itself. Thing is, what are y'all doing about it?

Chin music later, gentlemen. And it's gonna be an interesting question. 'night.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But here's the distinction : When a religion starts preaching that it's followers should go out and kill people there is a problem. And very clearly there is one religion that is doing that much moreso than all others. The world needs to acknowledge this and deal with this because the entire world is experiencing this problem (US, Middle East, Europe, Africa and also many places in Asia). I hope atheists in the US can clearly understand this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean like using terms like "axis of evil" to justify a pre-emptive strikes that results in more than half a billion innocents being killed? I am sure most atheists in the US understand this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did we nuke China during my nap?