Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 08:23 PM

Default Re: Need rap suggestions for Niagara plz

[ QUOTE ]
swax, thank you, completely destroyed any 'point' greenfield has made, and you didnt even have to point out the underlying racism that his posts are laced with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there's really no point in getting into that. All I'm saying is that ever since the MTV age, music has predictably become more and more like movies. It's really easy to see, and that's why I don't understand why rap is so singled out when most "blockbuster" piece of crap movies are getting people in the seats solely because of how much stuff blows up, or big drug deals, or who gets naked. I think there's some inherent racism in all of it, honestly. However, we know that there are still movies that aren't all about that, movies that are made for the sake of other things other than promoting excess and shallowness. The classic art vs. entertainment debate. And there is plenty of hip-hop that falls on the art side, just as there is movies, rock music, and every other form of media.

People are obviously entitled to their own opinions. If Greenfield doesn't like rap, that's totally fine by me - it's certainly not for everyone, and I will readily admit that the talent within hip-hop comes from a slightly different spectrum than what many people consider their definition of "music" (I'd argue that this definition that people use is also very Euro-centric, but that's a whole different can of worms). There's definitely an attitude and a type of thinking that goes along with hip-hop, and if you don't possess that attitude and/or type of thinking, it might not speak to you. Country music certainly doesn't speak to me in any manner at all - but I can still differentiate Johnny Cash or Loretta Lynn from corporate sludge like Toby Keith.

I didn't realize that this was BBV - I love these types of discussions though so I had to follow up on the original $.02 - sorry to interrupt the usual flow of graphs and whatnot. If anyone wants to move/continue this thread I have no problems with that!
Old 10-25-2006, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why would you even begin to open up that retarded can of worms that is "what is rap and what is hip-hop". They are indefinable as both a culture and a form of music, there are just too many variations for even those at the heart of the industry to agree upon terms so I doubt that people on a poker forum are going to get it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

cuz i dont wanna hear 'i hate rap/hip hop cuz i hate black ppl'. at least have a reason, and to properly have a reason, u have to understand at least the basics.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's my point, you don't even understand the basics, nobody does because it's all so subjective.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you start rapping, then it's rap. It's that simple. The word 'hip-hop' was not an organic cultural creation but something afrika bambatta thought up as a marketing tool. It didn't catch on for over a decade 'til the early 90's when it was again employed as a marketing tool, like:

Person A: 'So you write raps? I'm not really felling rap music.'

Person B: 'Oh no, no, this is hip-hip, not raps. So BUY IT!'

Like, marketing 101.

For almost 20 years it was 'rapping over the beat (or not i.e. 'my philosophy' my BDP)' or 'rhyming' with loose sporadic references to 'hip-hop' until almost out of nowhere 'hip-hop' was being used every other sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds entirely like the viewpoint of someone who grew up in the 90's and watched a 25 minute VH1 documentary on the roots of hiphop.

Hiphop began mainly as every bit of the elements of rapping, dj'ing, graffitti, breakdancing, etc. For the majority of the 1980's this was ENTIRELY the essence of the genre until gangsta rap and political rap blew up towards the end of that decade. After the major blowup that the genre received in the 1990's, it sure sounds like a great thing to say that using the word 'hiphop' was a marketing tool, but 'back in the day' it was something was lived and breathed by the people who embodied it, who performed for no money and for the love of what they believed in. Your statement that the term hiphop was rarely used up until it became this 'great marketing tool' is ridiculous. There are certain things that are fact, and certain things that are open to interpretation. I'm sure VH1 can clear the rest up for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hiss says the cat.

Two thing vying for title of most bizarre:

1. You're reading comprehension and logical reasoning ability might actually be as poor as your post implies, and

2. Something I wrote actually offended you so deeply that you felt the need to flame me.

Weird.

Yeah, there were breakers that didn't listen to rap or break to rap, and graffiti artists that listened to heavy metal, but enough that did all the '4 elements' to make it a culture/genre deserving of a name. Though, somehow you managed to write some longwinded bull [censored] about keeping it real without coming close to addressing what was the only point I was making, that there wasn't a distinction between 'hip hop' and 'rap' as two separate entities until much later.
In fact, what you wrote was so far off from the gist of what I was saying I wonder how you feed and dress yourself. But hey, good for you. If it makes you happy it can't be that bad.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:11 PM

How this thread made it this long without the greatest being mentioned that being HOV is amazing. Both of the new Kingdom Come tracks can be found online and are worth downloading.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How this thread made it this long without the greatest being mentioned that being HOV is amazing. Both of the new Kingdom Come tracks can be found online and are worth downloading.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that 'hip hop' or 'rap'?
Old 10-25-2006, 10:21 PM

Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A
It Was A Good Day - Ice Cube
Hate it or Love It - 50 Cent
Outta Control - 50 Cent & Mobb Deep
Forgot About Dre - Dr. Dre
Never Scared Remix - Bone Crusher
Check Yo Self (Remix) - Ice Cube
Just a Lil Bit - 50 Cent