Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2006, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Need rap suggestions for Niagara plz

i didnt read the thread, but blackalicious is the right answer
Old 10-23-2006, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why would you even begin to open up that retarded can of worms that is "what is rap and what is hip-hop". They are indefinable as both a culture and a form of music, there are just too many variations for even those at the heart of the industry to agree upon terms so I doubt that people on a poker forum are going to get it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

cuz i dont wanna hear 'i hate rap/hip hop cuz i hate black ppl'. at least have a reason, and to properly have a reason, u have to understand at least the basics.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's my point, you don't even understand the basics, nobody does because it's all so subjective.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you start rapping, then it's rap. It's that simple. The word 'hip-hop' was not an organic cultural creation but something afrika bambatta thought up as a marketing tool. It didn't catch on for over a decade 'til the early 90's when it was again employed as a marketing tool, like:

Person A: 'So you write raps? I'm not really felling rap music.'

Person B: 'Oh no, no, this is hip-hip, not raps. So BUY IT!'

Like, marketing 101.

For almost 20 years it was 'rapping over the beat (or not i.e. 'my philosophy' my BDP)' or 'rhyming' with loose sporadic references to 'hip-hop' until almost out of nowhere 'hip-hop' was being used every other sentence.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds entirely like the viewpoint of someone who grew up in the 90's and watched a 25 minute VH1 documentary on the roots of hiphop.

Hiphop began mainly as every bit of the elements of rapping, dj'ing, graffitti, breakdancing, etc. For the majority of the 1980's this was ENTIRELY the essence of the genre until gangsta rap and political rap blew up towards the end of that decade. After the major blowup that the genre received in the 1990's, it sure sounds like a great thing to say that using the word 'hiphop' was a marketing tool, but 'back in the day' it was something was lived and breathed by the people who embodied it, who performed for no money and for the love of what they believed in. Your statement that the term hiphop was rarely used up until it became this 'great marketing tool' is ridiculous. There are certain things that are fact, and certain things that are open to interpretation. I'm sure VH1 can clear the rest up for you.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i know enough about rap from my brother to know it's completely useless and degenerate.

[/ QUOTE ]
And that is....

Anyone that's going to say a whole genre of music is bad is just being a small simple, minded prick, or just never listened to it. Sometimes I like Rap, sometimes metal, sometimes country, and so on. I think that pretty much sums up a lot of people.

Also how the hell can music be degenerate?

[/ QUOTE ]

figure it out yourself

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks for not proving the bolded part right or anything.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i know enough about rap from my brother to know it's completely useless and degenerate.

[/ QUOTE ]
And that is....

Anyone that's going to say a whole genre of music is bad is just being a small simple, minded prick, or just never listened to it. Sometimes I like Rap, sometimes metal, sometimes country, and so on. I think that pretty much sums up a lot of people.

Also how the hell can music be degenerate?

[/ QUOTE ]

figure it out yourself

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks for not proving the bolded part right or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeh, cos it takes someone who is completely close minded to justifiably write off a genre of music. obviously you're part of the enlightened herd who loves rap for its obvious artistic transendance.

as i said, work it out yourself, i'm not going to think for you, thats for TV to do.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeh, cos it takes someone who is completely close minded to justifiably write off a genre of music.

[/ QUOTE ]
yes
[ QUOTE ]
obviously you're part of the enlightened herd who loves rap for its obvious artistic transendance.

[/ QUOTE ]
From my post-
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes I like Rap, sometimes metal, sometimes country, and so on. I think that pretty much sums up a lot of people.

[/ QUOTE ]
I pretty much like rap because it sounds good. I'm not some punk (aparently your brother) who had his life destroyed from it or something.
[ QUOTE ]
as i said, work it out yourself, i'm not going to think for you, thats for TV to do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Translation: "i'm so independent and cool I don't rely on TV to tell me what to do, you do" Well, think what you want I have my own opinions and I have no idea what TV I would watch that would make me like rap music.

Quit acting like a self righteous prick, which will probably be hard for you.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:35 PM

"Underground crap you've never heard of", or older stuff is really the only stuff worth mentioning.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what an empty, empty genre of music.

[/ QUOTE ]

indie brit-pop fagbert music contributes a lot, however

[/ QUOTE ]

how would you know?

and fwiw, my taste in brit pop goes as far as blur, the smiths, some suede and some pulp. sometimes they can make some quite relevant stuff, but i also quite like decent guitar pop. i'm able to enjoy music for the sake of music as well. its a shame that, musically, rap is terrible too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really try and stay out of these debates for the most part, because really it just ends up being personal preference combined with people bashing what they've never fully taken the time to appreciate.

Let's get one thing straight - it is difficult to make ANY music in an original manner, especially with how much is out these days. The notion that music requires instruments to be "valid" or whatever is so archaic and misguided, and I would think that even the best of "britpop" musicians would tell you that.

When it really comes down to it, I think there's only two genres of contemporary music - creative and manufactured. Now there are plenty of songs that overlap both genres to a degree (i.e. Outkast or Jay-Z, clearly both creative and manufactured) but for the most part it's one or the other. Ever since The Chronic, rap has essentially replaced hair metal as the de facto manufactured music and hence is being used to promote the same culture of excess that the talentless, makeup-adorned, effeminate 80's rocker was promoting. That culture is pretty much promoted across the board in the ol' U S of A (and really anywhere else too), so to blame rap, or "blacks and jews" or whatever, is absurd.

However, there is still plenty of music that is about the technical merit and creativity, and that comes in all styles. In fact, it's pretty evident lately that the line between "indy rock" and hip-hop/rap continues to shrink - I mean let's look at Blur (who I am also a big fan of). Albarn's latest collborators have been Automator, Danger Mouse, MF Doom, Del, etc...and Think Tank was largely beat-based too. Mike Patton, one of the best rock vocalists of our time, is working with Rahzel and the X-ecutioners. The Flaming Lips are playing new year's with Gnarls Barkley. Thom Yorke is a big admirer of DJ Shadow and Kool Keith, and so on.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:58 PM

Schooly D
De La Soul
Old 10-23-2006, 04:57 PM

Obie Trice
Old 10-23-2006, 06:53 PM

swax, thank you, completely destroyed any 'point' greenfield has made, and you didnt even have to point out the underlying racism that his posts are laced with.