Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Seattle\'s new \"slogan\"

Washington state's tourism slogan used to be "SayWA" (wha?!) and it's new slogan for Seattle is "Metronatural." This is disturbing. For me, it's similarity to the popular phrase "metrosexual" and the combining of "metro" and "natural" conjure up a bizarre mental image of macchiato-sipping male hipsters prancing around Fremont in the nude. If the idea was to come up with a slogan that captures both "... a vibrant urban center surrounded by pristine wilderness and outdoor recreation" that Seattle is, this is a horrendous effort. Apparently a $200,000, 16-month effort ( Yahoo linker ). I cant offer any brilliant suggestions of my own at this time, but heck, "SayWA" was better than this. How do you fellow pacific northwest inhabitants feel about this? How much ridicule are you citizens of other cities going to dole out when the Seahawks come to your town for football? Any other state/city slogans that are particularly terrible or clever?
Old 10-22-2006, 10:58 PM

Default Re: Seattle\'s new \"slogan\"

there's nothing natural about concrete
Old 10-22-2006, 10:58 PM

I enjoyed your post and look forward to future interactions in the exciting 2plus2 forums!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:01 PM

Heh, I'm from the Seattle area, and this [censored] is embarassing. It's the ultimate example of decision-by-committee that Seattle seems to be so bad at (look at the monorail/light rail fiasco, and now the neverending debate over the waterfront viaduct).

No politician in this town can make a damn decision, so they just spend hundreds of thousands of dollars, and years, appointing committees and doing studies. For something as stupid as a marketing slogan.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:00 AM

I love living near Seattle. Wakeboarding in the summer, good skiing in the winter, moderate weather, etc etc etc. But... what morons decided it was a good idea to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on this stupid idea?
Old 10-23-2006, 12:05 AM

SAYWA?!?!?!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:23 AM

How about

"We're not Tacoma!!!"

Catchy and no matter how bad your day it gives you a smile to know you are not in Tacoma.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
SAYWA?!?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT IS THAT YOU SAIIIIIIID

Old 10-23-2006, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How about

"We're not Tacoma!!!"

Catchy and no matter how bad your day it gives you a smile to know you are not in Tacoma.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to school in Tacoma, which means I'm gangster and will [censored] you up for talking bad about my city of thugs. The offical moto on Tacoma is 100,000 alcoholics can't be wrong.
That is a good slogan.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Washington state's tourism slogan used to be "SayWA" (wha?!) and it's new slogan for Seattle is "Metronatural." This is disturbing. For me, it's similarity to the popular phrase "metrosexual" and the combining of "metro" and "natural" conjure up a bizarre mental image of macchiato-sipping male hipsters prancing around Fremont in the nude. If the idea was to come up with a slogan that captures both "... a vibrant urban center surrounded by pristine wilderness and outdoor recreation" that Seattle is, this is a horrendous effort. Apparently a $200,000, 16-month effort ( Yahoo linker ). I cant offer any brilliant suggestions of my own at this time, but heck, "SayWA" was better than this. How do you fellow pacific northwest inhabitants feel about this? How much ridicule are you citizens of other cities going to dole out when the Seahawks come to your town for football? Any other state/city slogans that are particularly terrible or clever?

[/ QUOTE ]

New Jersey slogan campaign

I think the Daily Show did a parody and came up with "New Jersey: One hour is enough!"

The Doc