Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: Stale observations people still think are funny/original/surprisin

PJ,

It's an issue of catering to the lcd.

I do think there's a lot of objectively bad announcers who have had jobs for a long time. However, that's because I have different standards than the average tv watching fan who hasn't been conditioned to think critically about sports the way a lot of folks have (and that's really the hallmark of the sabr crowd, it's not stats, it's critical thinking).
Old 10-22-2006, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this is on topic, but posters who get in pointless pissing contests about whether white or black is a color are on my short list of people who annoy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll add "People who try to get meta/ironic in Joker's stale observation thread"

I will also preemptively add people who point out that my post is guilty of the very thing its chastising

<font color="white"> including any and all 2nd/3rd etc levels of irony </font>
Old 10-22-2006, 09:28 PM

Suggestion for any more posts:

If you can't add "did you know that" or "have you noticed that" in front, it's probably not an observation.

Examples:

Have you noticed that...you park in a driveway and drive in a parkway? There are people that think that is still funny.

Did you know that...buying a house is better than paying for an apartment because you build equity? There are people that think that is not obvious and feel it is their duty to inform you.

Have you noticed that...LOL, donkaments? See how that doesn't work? While it is something annoying, yes, it is not an annoying observation.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I suspect the majority of laypeople don't really care what they have to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect the millions of dollars networks spend on market research would prove you wrong. If people didn't really care about announcers, games would not have any commentary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year in Canada the technicians for the CBC went on strike and as a result CFL games were broadcast with no announcers. The only sound broadcasted were the sounds live from the stadium. Ratings actually went up when this went on. I'm pretty sure ratings would have gone down once the novelty wore off, but it did show that broadcasters are not the key to ratings.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

- People who think they are really smart when they spread false information that everyone thinks is correct about celebrities. I got into a fist fight after the 50th time I was told that the dude from Mr. Belvedere was Marilyn Manson.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, everyone knows Marilyn Manson is Mikey from the Life cereal commercials.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my area he was Kevins friend Paul from the Wonder Years.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I suspect the millions of dollars networks spend on market research would prove you wrong. If people didn't really care about announcers, games would not have any commentary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course there needs to be someone talking during the game, because there's always a lot of boring downtime during sporting events. I just figured that most people don't know (or care) if it's Joe Buck announcing the game vs. some other good play-by-play guy. You were the one who said that the lay public LIKES the announcers - I merely contend that as long as the announcer is up to a certain level of competence that they don't care specifically who it is these days. Just look at Monday Night Football - all the announcing changes / gimmicks they could come up with and they still can't recapture the heyday of Cosell because the TV audience is more fragmented now and because most of the time these past years the games have been sucky.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Last year in Canada the technicians for the CBC went on strike and as a result CFL games were broadcast with no announcers. The only sound broadcasted were the sounds live from the stadium. Ratings actually went up when this went on. I'm pretty sure ratings would have gone down once the novelty wore off, but it did show that broadcasters are not the key to ratings.

[/ QUOTE ]
Of course they're not they key. The game is the key and I don't think anyone would ever claim otherwise.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:56 AM

"Tiger Woods hasn't been playing well lately because his hot wife is distracting."

Yea jagbag, maybe there's more imortant things in life?

TV golf commentator talking about the leader at the start of the final round:

"He just wants to hit fairways and greens today."

Hmmm... so hitting every fairway and every green will result in a good round? What an awesome and simple strategy! Why didn't I think of that!

"Never up, never in."

So what you're saying is, if the ball doesn't go far enough to reach the hole, it can't possibly go in? Do you teach physics somewhere?
Old 10-23-2006, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

2. referees when calling a false start penalty:

"prior to the snap..."

[/ QUOTE ]
I meant to point this out earlier but forgot. You can't seriously be complaining about the refs announcing penalties in what we can only assume is the manner the league chooses, can you? How can that be stale? Do you really think they believe it is (1) funny (2) original or (3) surprising?

Seems like some people just can't wait to jump at a chance to complain about anything.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Tiger Woods hasn't been playing well lately because his hot wife is distracting."

Yea jagbag, maybe there's more imortant things in life?

TV golf commentator talking about the leader at the start of the final round:

"He just wants to hit fairways and greens today."

Hmmm... so hitting every fairway and every green will result in a good round? What an awesome and simple strategy! Why didn't I think of that!

"Never up, never in."

So what you're saying is, if the ball doesn't go far enough to reach the hole, it can't possibly go in? Do you teach physics somewhere?

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay I'm going to ask you the same thing I've asked others, what CAN they say?

Why does everyone in this thread want sports announcers to go out of their way to be complex and probably only tengentially relevant to the topic?

Pointing out that his wife could be distracting him is totally reasonable. Maybe some people didn't know Tiger got married or just weren't thinking about it.

"Just wants to hit fairways and greens" is not meant to imply that going 14/14 and 18/18 is good (obviously it is), it's meant to explain that he will play conservatively rather than aggressively. What is wrong with pointing out proper strategy for the leader to take when it's going to vary from everyone else?

Finally, I don't think the announcer is trying to teach physics, and neither do you. He is pointing out that the player shouldhave been focusing on getting the ball to the hole, even at the risk of having it go far past it, because he needed to make that putt.

Do you really not get all this or are you just so foused on finding things to bitch about that you don't care whether they make any sense or not?

Seriously, what's next. Let's say someone makes a 3 pointer at the buzzer and the announcer says something like "The Lkers win with a 3 pointer at the buzzer!" I mean, come on man, can't get any more obvious than that. That must be the worst announcer ever.