Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Per-game bankroll??

Hi All,

I know the genrally-accepted advice for a playingbankroll is about 300-600 big bets for the limits you'll be playing at, however, how much of that would you bring to each game, assuming you were not planning to rebuy, as presumably you would not risk your entire playing bankroll in one game?

Is 50BB about generally reasonable? More? Less? Does it matter on the game (Holdem, 7-card stud, etc)

Just curious.

Thanks!

-SilkBC
Old 10-22-2006, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Per-game bankroll??

i usually bring 50-75, but a lot of people bring 100. I find the more i bring to the table the more comfortable i feel, therefore playing looser.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:42 PM

Assuming you are playing limit and are a solid player, you should rarely need more 40 big bets. I usually buy in for 25 at most limit hold-em games.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 PM

if your starting to run out of money you can always buy in a couple times for the minimum buyin. i usually bring 200 dollars to my game but then also some 20s so if i lose my buyins i can at leatws use the 20s and keep playing.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is 50BB about generally reasonable? More? Less? Does it matter on the game (Holdem, 7-card stud, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

my comments are about limit holdem.

50BB is plenty IMHO but I dont think it really matters if you have the ability to rebuy...which online is only a mouseclick or two away.

If you are the sort of person who plays worse (ie do anything differently and worse than you otherwise would if you had a bigger stack) when your stack is smaller then you should buy in for more. Aside from the fact that you always should have enough chips at the table incase you flop a monster and want to cap every street, if you are prone to stackoff then keep yourself from getting shortstacked.

On a a sidenote, Ive been playing off a relaod at paradise and Im often seeing more than half the table with a shortstack. These tables are often very juicy as most shortstack players suck.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:19 PM

Since you didn't specify, my comments apply to live game Limit Hold 'Em. Here's what I do, and it has worked well for me.

I buy in initially for 25 BB ($200 at 4/8 limit). Well more than half the time, this is plenty; I won't have go dig any more.

Adding another 12.5BB ($100) is pretty automatic for me if I get down around $75 or so. Reason; I try to never play with a real short stack. Finding yourself all-in on the turn in a multi-way pot while holding the stone-cold nuts is just poor money management, in my opinion.

I'll buy the 4th rack (again, when my stack gets down to around 75) only if I'm quite sure that I'm playing well and still have an edge. Usually this is the case, but not always.

4 racks is about it. I don't think I've ever bought a 5th rack...not sure I was ever faced with a decision to do so.

So I guess all this rambling boils down to: 50BB. And if you don't want to rebuy, then buy the whole 50BB up front; you might get some funny looks, but who cares? If you get down to 10-15BB, however, stop and take a hard look at your own play, table conditions, and make an honest decision on whether to keep playing or to save your remaining bets for another day.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:58 AM

Thanks to all for the replies. I have actually been doing fairly well at online Limit Hold'em ($0.10/$0.20 thus far) buying in at 25BB, which has been working fairly well. I am usually able to double my stack, at which point I leave.

I'm actualy trying to see if the "standard" of a total 300BB bankroll appears to be good (I deposited $50, so $0.10/$0.20 is what that bankroll will support). I plan to see if I can "grind it out" and see how long beofre i have to make another deposit.

I was just curious if 25BB was considered too little or too much, but it seems that anywhere between 25BB and 50BB is a reasonable amount to bring.

I am a fairly solid player so I suspect it should be a while before I need to re-deposit. As my bankroll grows, I am thinking I will likely multi-table up to four tables before moving up to the next limit.

I'll keep you posted :-)
Old 10-27-2006, 05:44 PM

Don't be constrained by your bankroll unless you plan on never redepositing if you bust out. If $50 redeposits is ok for you, then you can easily play some bigger games. Your risk of ruin will be much higher, but so will your upside. Unless you're a professional or are really disturbed by having to redeposit, then don't worry about it.
Old 10-28-2006, 05:52 PM

Never let yourself get below 12BB. That's enough to cap every street if you get a hand that's worth doing so. Since you are bound to get some variance between hands, I'd suggest playing with no less than 30BB.

[ QUOTE ]

Don't be constrained by your bankroll unless you plan on never redepositing if you bust out. If $50 redeposits is ok for you, then you can easily play some bigger games. Your risk of ruin will be much higher, but so will your upside. Unless you're a professional or are really disturbed by having to redeposit, then don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you plan on keeping very good records (which I would highly suggest), don't stray too far from what your bankroll can support. There are two big problems that occur when you stretch beyond the limits of your BR.

1: You lose track of just how well/poorly you are doing. It's easy to convince yourself that you are doing well if you just redeposited and you double that. However, you may be forgetting the 4-5 deposits you just blew. It's mental, but don't underestimate how big a role the mental side of the game plays.

2: This is how people develop hardcore gambling addictions. Poker may be a game of skill, but it is still dependent on luck, and therefore is gambling. In the end, a player with skill is going to get the best of it vs a player with just blind luck, but the key phrase there is "in the end". If you keep redepositing (especially small amounts), you'll put yourself in a position where you may feel pressured to "make up" the previous deposits. Too many players decide to move up in limits to make back their losses quicker. It's a slippery slope, and not one you want to get onto.

In short.. stay within your BR, and if you feel you have enough skill to move up, deposit enough to cover yourself for that limit.