Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2006, 12:21 PM

Default How to play this home game (PL 5-card draw with 2 jokers)

Hi

There's a homegame going around where I live where they play 5 card draw with two jokers (wild) and potlimit. The players are mostly pretty bad (loose and passive) so this would probably be easy picking if I just could get a hang on how to play the game itself. My five card draw experience is mostly from the 5-handed limit tables in the Internet and I've read the section of the game in SS1 but that's a bug game so it's not really the same.

My own thoughts would be to call preflop bet almost every time (these people bet minimum before the draw 90% of the time unless they have a monster already) and then bet heavily with the really good hands expecting calls (and what would be a very good hand in a 5cd with two wildcards?). Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:41 PM

Default Re: How to play this home game (PL 5-card draw with 2 jokers)

I'd be loath to play any hands without at least one joker, as I'd assume with this crowd that you will have to showdown a VERY big hand to win and the chance of a successful bluff is near zero. I'm just guessing, but anything short of a strong flush is going to make me queasy in this game. Trips and straights in this game are probably about as good as low 2 pair hands in standard draw.

Just as an anecdote, a friend of mine called this game in a dealer's choice game. I mocked the 2 jokers, but he insisted. I was dealt 8h9hTh with a joker, drew 1 to my straight flush draw, and hit the 2nd joker. My friend who called the game learned that trip aces wasn't the nuts.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:59 PM

Just read my message and noticed I didn't mention it's an ante game (ante being about 1% of a regular stack) and jacks or better to open (if that makes any difference).

And yes, you pretty much have to go to the showdown as long as anyone has anything they assume is worth it (and people will call just about any bet with two small pair and some even with just a pair of aces/kings).
Old 10-17-2006, 12:17 PM

Five Draw Deuces Wild: you are supposed to only enter with trip queens or better.

Your game: this has two wilds cards less so Deuces Wild advice may be a little tight.

Having one of the jokers is helpful but not everything.

Remember that in pot limit games you want to be holding the best hand not having to draw to something that may become best.

I cannot see anything less than a Ace high flush being bettable post draw.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your game: this has two wilds cards less so Deuces Wild advice may be a little tight.

[/ QUOTE ]

2.08 wild cards less, actually.

/supernit
Old 10-22-2006, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/supernit [/quote

2.08? What is that about? Are you thinking of Deuces Wild plus a Joker or is it something else that I am missing?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

/supernit

[/ QUOTE ]

2.08? What is that about? Are you thinking of Deuces Wild plus a Joker or is it something else that I am missing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just being silly. Deuces Wild has 48 mundane cards and four wilds. Jokers Wild has 52 mundane cards and two wilds. So it's not quite the same as just having two less wilds.