Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 02:10 AM

Default What if you are a US servicemen overseas?

I'm thinking about re-enlisting in the Army and was wondering what would happen if I get stationed over in Germany or Okinawa or somewhere. Hopefully some of the better legal minds in this form would be able to help me with this one.

If I'm an American Citizen overseas but techinically on US soil would neteller/firepay/party poker be able to take my business? Also if they did would I face any repercussions from military/authorities for breaking any laws?
Old 10-22-2006, 02:31 AM

Default Re: What if you are a US servicemen overseas?

[ QUOTE ]
I'm thinking about re-enlisting in the Army and was wondering what would happen if I get stationed over in Germany or Okinawa or somewhere. Hopefully some of the better legal minds in this form would be able to help me with this one.

If I'm an American Citizen overseas but techinically on US soil would neteller/firepay/party poker be able to take my business?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd assume you'd have to have a local address and bank account.

[ QUOTE ]
Also if they did would I face any repercussions from military/authorities for breaking any laws?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, you're in a much better place to answer this then anyone on this forum since you've severed. From my limited experience with military personal, I would suspect that as long as you are otherwise doing a good job then no one will bother you. However, if someone above you doesn't like gamboling for some reason, you might be ordered to stop. So the best advice is to keep it on the down low.
Old 10-22-2006, 03:47 AM

im not a lawyer or anything but i was borred and curious. i started off with the assumption that u would be bound by the uniform code of military justice, and that is what u would have to worry about on a base abroad. dont know if this is right. but anyway, i looked through it some for places where i think they would have provisions agaisnt gambling. i didnt see anything. i only spent 15 or twenty minutes doing this, so be real weary of this. i looked in Subchapter X sections 877-934. they had stuff like robbery and drunk driving, but nothing about gambling. if u are interested heres a url

http://www.au.af.mil/au/awc/awcgate/ucmj.htm
Old 10-22-2006, 04:13 AM

Being in the mail order business, APO and FPO addresses are considered US mail addresses. I would assume if you gave these addresses to party, they would automatically exclude you as US locations, even tho they are overseas. To be remotely possible, you would have to acquire an off base address and bank account. This does not even take into consideration about breaking the Military Code of Conduct.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being in the mail order business, APO and FPO addresses are considered US mail addresses. I would assume if you gave these addresses to party, they would automatically exclude you as US locations, even tho they are overseas. To be remotely possible, you would have to acquire an off base address and bank account. This does not even take into consideration about breaking the Military Code of Conduct.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I remember of my basic training lecture nearly 7 years ago, when I think they tried to just scare us straight, don't drive drunk, don't be drunk period, don't visit strip clubs, don't get into bar fights, etc.

Nobody ever said anything about playing poker. Besides some of those "don'ts" that I mentioned plenty of servicemen have violated. The only clear thing that does really stand out in my mind, Don't Break the Law. Which I think would have to be a concern, however if I were stationed in Germany and got a German bank account, would I be breaking any laws?

btw J2 thanx for url, vn
Old 10-22-2006, 01:11 PM

if you are on a base then it's illegal if you are off that base then it is.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:20 PM

Honestly, I would not be very vocal about it if you played. When I was in the Navy (last year), nearly 20-30 guys on 150 man crew played poker online or during our off hours. When we played poker while deployed we never discussed the money, we never had money out in front of us, but folks kept track. To be honest, I'm sure the command knew, but since we were discrete about it, they choose to act like they didn't know. When we got back to port and played online or home games it was discussed, but not around certain ears. Why? The new Navy frowns upon things like gambling, drinking, etc. All it takes is one wrong superior with a vendetta to make it painful.

The problem with many of the articles of the UCMJ, is they are so broad as to be applied to whatever situation seen fit. Now, I don't know about other branches, but the Navy loves to bust people as quickly as they promote them. Also, if you have a security clearance like we did on the sub, then you have to be even more careful. If they even get whif that they think your an uncontrollable gambler, your in for a fight for that clearance.

So yes this sounds very pessimistic, but like many things in the military, discretion is best. Play and 9 time out of 10 no one will care, but avoid those topics with that 10th person that does care.