Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 11:59 PM

Default 200nl 6 max - My First Strategy Post

This is my first strategy post so any responses would be appreciated.

No real reads on opponent but he has open raised a few hands from the CO and button previous to this one. I felt it was a standard button raise and my AJ would be ahead of his range, standard c-bet on the flop. My turn play is what I was unsure of, but comments on all streets appreciated. As for the hand, sorry if I messed up with the converter:

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $199
UTG+1: $219.90
CO: $120.65
Button: $231.55
Hero: $200
BB: $32.70

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $8</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $25</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($52, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $35</font>, Button calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($122, 2 players)

Hero?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:02 AM

Default Re: 200nl 6 max - My First Strategy Post

There's an option on the converter to select a site.

I would bet $60 here and shove the river.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:06 AM

Hand history fixed, thanks for the tip:

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $1/$2
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $199
UTG+1: $219.90
CO: $120.65
Button: $231.55
Hero: $200
BB: $32.70

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $8</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $25</font>, BB folds, Button calls.

Flop: 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($52, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $35</font>, Button calls.

Turn: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($122, 2 players)

Hero?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:12 AM

If we bet $60 are we folding to a push? Also, doesn't betting $60 price in every draw if we are shoving any river?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:16 AM

Honestly the only hands here I was afraid of was AQ and a donk floating with AK (however unlikely). I was going to play the turn very cautiously but decided I was likely best. Is checking in this spot bad?
Old 10-22-2006, 12:18 AM

I guess you could just shove. It's barely more than a PSB. CRAI might be fine too, pretty tough spot.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:26 AM

The pot's gotten pretty big compared to your remaining stack, so I think it's just a question of how you want to get the rest of your money in.

I think you have a number of good options here, depending on your image. What's your image like?

If you have c-bet and then check/folded the turn several times recently, then I would go for the check-raise all-in on the turn.

If you have been aggressive and/or been caught bluffing recently, I would shove your remaining $140 on the turn.

There's also nothing wrong with betting $60 on the turn. I would tend to do this against passive/calling station type players.

Absent a read, I would most likely go for the CRAI...but I tend to c-bet the flop and then check/fold the turn too often, so this would be a good place to compensate.

I realize I've given no definitive answers, but hopefully, there's some food for thought here.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:08 AM

Actually this is my 4th or 5th hand at the table so I have no image. A lot of times against most opponents I tend not to fire a second barrel with air, I c-bet and check fold the turn probably more than I should.

I felt I had to get my money in as he could have a draw or a stubborn Q. I checked with the intention of raising all in. I felt if I bet pot I might get a flush draw or a Q to fold. It worked and he had QJ diamonds and the river bricked.

I'm still not sure if betting the turn or checking is right in these situations as I haven't been in this tough a spot recently.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:17 AM

The trouble with check-raising the turn is that the Ace is a scare card for a lot of the button's hands and he might not cooperate. I'd just bet $60 and shove the river.

I think your re-raise pre-flop is pretty loose. You may well be ahead of his raising range, but I'd guess you are behind his calling range and out of position for the rest of the hand in a bloated pot.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:23 AM

Reraise PF is basically standard if he's aggressive and you haven't been defending. I hate calling with these hands and folding seems awfully weak.

I like a c/r all in on the turn because I think a lot of worse hands could bet that wouldn't call a shove.