Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 05:07 PM

Default Re: 2006-07 NBA Discussion Thread

Al,

There's an aphorism that says something about how you hate in others what you hate most in yourself. Since you hate Kobe so much...

... did he penetrate you?

Love,
A Lakers Fan.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:26 PM

Skunk - sorry, the guy is just such a selfish jackass. He was pretty good on TNT with Barkley this past playoffs though.

-Al
Old 10-20-2006, 05:54 PM

Al,

He was fantastic on TNT. Much better than almost all players I've seen on the show. That includes Magic Johnson.

Also, I felt bad when I found out what happened with Ernie Johnson's neck because when I first saw it I thought my TV had broken.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kobe is in the same boat, and he's likely at his peak now, maybe just reaching the end of it. He's 28 now. I think Kobe's going to have a monster year.

[/ QUOTE ] Kobe's "peak" is during years w/o Shaq. I am not saying these aren't his best years, but I think its possible they happened when Shaq was there.

Garnett, 2004 looks to be his best season. He's 27 there, so maybe you are right. LBJ could peak then, I think its fair to say 26 is probably close to his peak. If I had to give a range, it would be 25-28.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:23 PM

Interesting question, what is the average age of peak for guys who played three or 4 years of college ball?
Old 10-20-2006, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Al,

He was fantastic on TNT. Much better than almost all players I've seen on the show. That includes Magic Johnson.

Also, I felt bad when I found out what happened with Ernie Johnson's neck because when I first saw it I thought my TV had broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hijack: Could you elaborate? I've always wondered why once side of his head/face/neck looked bigger than the other.

Also, the TNT guys used to be awesome. They've gone downhill a bit these past couple years.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:52 PM

TSC,

Kobe's career peaked with Shaq. There's little doubt he's playing peak ball right now. If Kobe was as good then as he is today, that team would've been even scarier.

As for when guys who go to college peak, I think general consensus is ~28, give or take a year. I think generally, injuries are the biggest factor. Most guys who stay healthy seem to peak around the 28 mark and perform well into their early 30s.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kobe's career peaked with Shaq. There's little doubt he's playing peak ball right now. If Kobe was as good then as he is today, that team would've been even scarier.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the truth. the old kobe couldn't have carried last years lakers to the playoffs IMO.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:41 PM

Kid - Ernie has non-Hodgkins lyphoma, and worked the playoffs while getting treatment (I think). Anyway he had an enormous growth on the left side of his neck.

[ QUOTE ]
As for when guys who go to college peak, I think general consensus is ~28, give or take a year. I think generally, injuries are the biggest factor. Most guys who stay healthy seem to peak around the 28 mark and perform well into their early 30s.

[/ QUOTE ]

~28 sounds about right. Early 30s sounds about right too, though I'd say for big men, seems like the drop-off post-peak period is really dramatic vs. guards.

-Al
Old 10-21-2006, 09:18 PM

tdarko - I was trying to give off the impression that it is unimaginable to think how good Lebron will become. I fully expect him to be much better five years from now. Where's his ceiling, considering he's arguably the best player in the league now?

Anyways, all bballers peak in their late 20's assuming good health, no matter when they came into the league. I don't really buy into the whole playoff mileage. As long as a player doesn't get hurt, I don't think those extra games mean much. IMO, the offseason is only crucial to a player's longevity if that player needs the time to recover before the next season starts.