Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2006, 04:07 AM

Default Re: My God the Chargers look good

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...s19canepa.html
by SD Union Trib's Nick Canepa.

This week Charger GM AJ Smith says:

“(Rivers) still reminds me of Dan Marino, without a doubt – a quick trigger and great pocket awareness.”

I said on 8/14/06

[ QUOTE ]
Accurate, strong arm, pocket presence. Look at his release. Correct me if I am wrong...thats as quick as Marino.

[/ QUOTE ]

This week Canepa writes:

"Rivers may have “It.” He's obviously already in complete command. Watch him in the huddle. Watch his eyes when he's under center."

On 10/08/06 I wrote:

[ QUOTE ]
Rivers. The young man has "it"

[/ QUOTE ] . and on 10/19/06
[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes you just have to watch the QB play....Watch him play

[/ QUOTE ]

This week Canepa writes:

"The Chargers dominated that game (Ravens) and lost because Marty Schottenheimer wouldn't put his knife on the jugular"

On 10/01/06 I said:

[ QUOTE ]
For large stretches of the game they dominated a tough team on the road, but in the end, Marty choked

[/ QUOTE ] and in contrasting with Shannahan v. Ravens: "Unlike Marty..." [ QUOTE ]
he went for jugular and Donks covered

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2006, 03:56 PM

Another guy I've been extremely impressed with this season is Eric Parker. Football Outsiders rates him the 10th most productive receiver in the league and on a per-play basis he is 2nd(to Eric Moulds). In 2005 he was ranked 16th and 3rd respectively. He has caught 75% of the balls thrown to him this season--only a handful of WRs have caught at a higher% and of those, only Moulds is ranked higher.

Parker's targets have been rising as the season goes on and I expect he'll continue to be one of the most efficient WRs in football this year.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another guy I've been extremely impressed with this season is Eric Parker. Football Outsiders rates him the 10th most productive receiver in the league and on a per-play basis he is 2nd(to Eric Moulds). In 2005 he was ranked 16th and 3rd respectively. He has caught 75% of the balls thrown to him this season--only a handful of WRs have caught at a higher% and of those, only Moulds is ranked higher.

Parker's targets have been rising as the season goes on and I expect he'll continue to be one of the most efficient WRs in football this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like what I have seen from Parker, too. He gets open and has good hands.

Parker could improve in his yards after catch. He seems to have good quickness, but he is tackled by the white yard lines a lot. Seriously, they get a pinky on him and he goes flying. Oh well, I remember when Charger receivers couldn't catch a cold, so I'm not complaining.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:01 PM

anatta,

are you ony this much of a douchebag in real life or what?

i really like the chargers, but i just can't bear reading this thread.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anatta,

are you ony this much of a douchebag in real life or what?

i really like the chargers, but i just can't bear reading this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. Reading anatta on the Chargers is like reading Dead or Aceshigh when they're homering.
Old 10-21-2006, 05:17 PM

I got hemroids older than you.
Old 10-22-2006, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Igor Olshansky is out for probably a month. Jacques Cesaire will replace him at Defensive End. Like LB Phillips for Foley, this is a gain in pass rush, but a loss in run defense. Look for Chiefs' Larry Johnson to attack left (weak) side where Cesaire and Phillips lineup, especially with counters to take advance of overpursuit. He ran well in bad weather last year as Chiefs eliminated Bolts from playoff race.

Therefore, the combo of low chance of Martyball with a decent chance of Larry Johnson running well at home, makes me think some points will be scored this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Steeler recievers wide open last week. No Marty ball this week. Personally, I would stay away from this game. BUT OVER IS STRONG PLAY, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

LJ's first td was on a cutback to the weak side. Might have been by design, sort of like a counter. He ran to the left side all game and gained a ton of yards. No Martyball, Rivers threw the ball 40 plus times, Chargers and Chiefs gained a ton of yards.

Congrats to you guys who took the Chiefs, 6 points or whatever it was, I didn't see any value, but I guess you were right, way too much at Arrowhead. I can't bet against Bolts, so no way I take this game ATS.

Let's stop the name calling and listen to each other the rest of the year and maybe we can make some money.
Old 10-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Its Friday, that's Bolts Brief time, like it or not, you're reading it. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] Merriman is supposed to play Sunday at home v. Rams, he is appealing his suspension. On the other side, LB Shaun Phillips, expected to miss 4 weeks with what was initially thought to be a calf tear, might actually play. Just a strain, he says he'll go, listed as quesionable.

Here's what I see. Mad dogs on Charger side of ball. Home field energy, fast track. Igor still out, Cesaire played bad vs. Chiefs, but he can get after passer, and will rebound at home. If Phillips plays, they will be in backfield all game. However, veteran Rams offense, good big back, Holt, they will do some scoring.

Chargers should have little trouble moving ball against Rams at home. Close game early, Chargers win it going away. Bolts fans, don't sweat it. Come playoff time, Igor will be primed and ready to go, Merriman will be well rested, lifting weights with a chip on his shoulder, Rivers will have a full season under his belt. Screw home field, Chargers have outplayed Colts in Indy 2 years in a row. Just too much talent in smacking Pats in Foxboro last year. Punk ass Donkeys all D no O.

Its been beautiful the last several days. Short grass, fast at Q. I like the over. I guess it opened at 42, now 45 on Bodog.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:49 PM

Turning point was 14-7 Chargers and Rams started a drive on own 17 and took it down to Chargers 30. Great fumble return, likely a 14 point swing, Chargers up 21-7 and that's that. I sat in the endzone today where McCree returned it. Good times.

I must say, Bulger is a hell of a QB and Rams have great receivers. He would throw these bombs, fades, whatever, and you would think "no way", and then BOOM, someone would run underneath it out of nowhere.

Statistically, Rivers had a good game. On the long ball, he gets excited and overthrows it. Once in a while is okay, but he hasn't hit one all year. He has a mild case of "happy feet". I think he will improve in both these areas, but right now he's showing he's just a good young QB with a lot of potential, not Marino, Montana or Farve. I call it like I see it, I thought he might take it to next level sooner rather than later, but it doesn't appear so.

Defensively, I gotta be honest again here, they look like they did last year, something is missing. Merriman and some of the guys might have been on drugs and now they are playing clean. I realize Rams are good offensive team, but they don't look the same.

LT.

Every team has weaknesses, however. So I'm not counting Bolts out, but they need to get better and/or play better if they want to really make some noise. Cleveland next week is a laugher. At Denver likely without Merriman is going to be tough.
Old 10-30-2006, 12:12 AM

Peter King actually brought up a good point last week: If Merriman isn't a total jackass he'll accept the suspension so he doesn't end up missing both Denver games.