Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 11:50 PM

Default Overplayed Kings

Hello, I'd like to discuss a hand that I realize I played poorly, and hopefully get some feedback on where my thinking went wrong. (Note: My style of play rarely gets me committed to a pot without a big hand, but in this special case I'm a little drunk, for what it's worth, eheh)

It's the first hand of a $10 18-man 6/table mtsng and I'm dealt [Kc Kd].

UTG limps for 20, UTG+1 raises min to 40, the SB flat calls the 40, I pot-raise to 180. UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, SB calls.

Flop comes [9c 7c 9d], SB chks, I bet 300 into the 560 pot (giving them a little under 3 to 1). UTG+1 calls fairly quickly, the SB takes a few secs but calls. Hmm.

Turn comes [4d]. The pot is now at 1460, and I'm pretty uncomfortable. Did someone call with a 9 in their hand and neither raise nor chk-raise me on the flop? Am I facing 7's full? Is someone sandbagging with aces? (I get poker-paranoid when I'm drinking for some odd reason.) I have 1020 chips left. I don't feel like UTG+1 has a hand, but I have no idea what the SB is doing--and I do know there are some draw possibilities out there. After the SB checks, I take a while and then push all-in. My reasoning is that if I want to bet enough to scare off the draws--hands like [Ac Qc]--I'm going to be pot committed anyways, so I might as well push. Also I'm a huge favorite over 88, TT, JJ, QQ, broadway cards, etc. There's a big pot sitting there. It takes me a long time, but I push.

UTG+1 quickly calls. SB quickly calls.
UTG+1 shows [Ad Qc]--ace high
SB shows [7s 7d]--sevens full

I spike the friggin' king and triple up.

So... what could I have done differently? Do I check the turn? Make a probe or defensive bet? I'm still not too sure. Or was my play not THAT bad?

Thank you for any help!

(P.S. I finished 2nd after losing a race HU)
Old 10-20-2006, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Overplayed Kings

Your play was fine. Personally, I'd raise more preflop in these lower buy-ins, because they have a wide calling range and you really only want 1 or 2 callers.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:54 AM

I think the preflop raise is fine, and the bet is close to the right range, but in hindsight, had you bet a little more, the first caller might have folded and the sb would still call or raise you and you would likely know you are beat to a nine or sevens full. Had you bet more on the flop, you might have been able to get away from the kings when called.

Given how its played, these jokers could have had one seven, a pair of ducks, or a flush draw and still called you, so dont be too focused on the results

That being said, I think your line is just fine. Kings are the nuts preflop, and should be bet on under boards. Especially paired ones.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:10 AM

i would slam it preflop. like 300 or so. you're in the big blind? among other things, you're out of position. and in a low-stakes tournament people are more inclined to call these big overraises, so you might as well make them.
Old 10-21-2006, 02:57 AM

@ this buy-in level, you are never getting away from KK in this specific situation. Look @ the donkey w/ AQo. You're going to be against two donkeys sometimes. one w/ AQo, one w/ AJo. lol. Seriously, raise more pre, and stacking off here is correct and pretty unavoidable. You don't have to stack off w/ KK every time you have it, but the hand in your post, you will have to stack off all the time. SB could easily have 88 or 7x or a flush draw, his range is not only trips or better, that is ridiculous. His calling range on the flop is wide and so is the other dude's.