Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 05:20 PM

Default Goal setting

A co-worker and I were discussing goal setting with our Poker game. She had set a money goal and had failed to reach it, concidering going to a higher limit and more hours to gain intime for her monthly goal. This seems to me counter productive as youo would be "chasing" and likly to get in even more trouble.

So this begs the question, What kind of goals should we set for ourselves? How much we would win in a month? or hours in a month?

What do you guys think?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Goal setting

my goals are to ask fewer pointless questions and spend more time analysing my play. the money will come.
Old 01-31-2006, 09:48 PM

my goal is simple

dont go broke.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:48 PM

You know I had thought about replying with some sort of smart answer, pointing out that people that put others down are usually sad individuals with out self esteem. But I have decided to answer jd poker's responce to my question in the following.

jd poker,

I am sorry that in this public forum I have asked a question that you feel is pointless. I was unaware of the posting restrictions that all questions must meat your approval. Although I own nearly every book published by twoplustwo and am finding myself becoming a Ed Miller disciple I will not darken the vertual doors of your sacred message board, I will seek out one with alittle friendlier members.

Good luck to you all and jd, If you would like to analyze your play catch up with me sometine at one of the online card rooms, I'd be glad to take your money.

Papabrvo
Old 02-02-2006, 06:03 PM

Good Question. I now think a good goal is to be able to move up and be able to multitable as well as the level you moved from. I recently went up one level and find that I am doing OK at two tables now when previously I could play four. It just seemed that I know exactely what to do and could play quicker. Now I am checking PT stats etc and thinking more.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:44 PM

JD was too harsh in his style of communication.
i think he was trying to say that the goals you proposed given the high variance nature of poker (a moderator Q-tip recently posted about his 100,000 hand -500B downturn) are not very useful unless viewed over the very long term. Instead this forum is an excellent place to improve your analytics of play. Posting individual hands or reading and commenting on the posts of others are the best way I have found to improve my game. Goals then are framed in terms of did I make the correct play vs (outcome) did I win money over a day, week or month.
As to goals posts Jason_t posted a February goals post which is one part serious and one part tongue in cheek.
For your part try and have a thicker skin. Many times when you say something that goes against convention on this site people will challenge you politely, but sometimes they will throw it in your face. Oh well.
This however is a site for people who take poker strategy very seriously and IMO love to talk about the game.
Welcome aboard.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:52 PM

I have a monthly goal that depends on what month it is. February is always the worst monrht for me (according to the last 4 Fed) so I can relax.

My goal is to always beat the lasy 4 years average.
Old 02-02-2006, 10:42 PM

Most know 2-3 big bet per hour for a couple thousand hands is good poker. Do this at $5-10 and you have a decent income. So I would think it is quality of your play not hours or money goals is what you should shoot for. Dominate a level and move up after 100,000 hands

I have decided as a goal to work a 5 yr plan. I am in yr two, started with $300 and have never reloaded..spent time in all areas of play, 6 max limit and NL, tournaments, S&G, taken lessons, even played some o8 and stud and sports betting. I wanted to settle in on what I was naturally good at. The highest stakes I have played is $2-4 so far but I have a basic education which was the goal.

I have finally decided Limit HE is my game and now working on multi tabling. I am going to spend the next year just playing Limit HE multiabling and to move up..It is build a bankroll time for me so i can get good and move up.

good luck