Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 02:39 PM

Default Re: Expensive replica watches what do we think?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't really understand buying watches, i just look at my cell phone to see what time it is

[/ QUOTE ]

it's like a piece of jewelry that also tells time, in my opinion anyway

i'd never get a watch that wasn't "nice" so to speak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It's as much or more of a fashion accessory than it is just to tell you the time.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the reason that expensive replica sites exist is that thier watches use the same internal movement as thier real-life counterparts, unlike "bootleg" watches which only copy the original's appearance. Therefore, people who buy from here are more interested in the quality and engineering behind a certain type of watch but don't want to pay the ridiculous designer markup. I don't know this for a fact but I asked a friend who knows watches and this is what he told me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most really high-end watch manufacturers (like Jaeger leCoultre pictured above) produce the movements in-house, so they're not available for the replica manufacturers.

Most replica movements are made dirt cheap in China.

A good generic swiss movement cost more than $200 for the movement alone. I found a Valjoux 7750 movement (which is used in many 'mid-level' watches like Tag-Heuers) on eBay for sale for $285.

I like the mechanical aspects of a good watch and I didn't mind spending 2k+ on the most expensive of my watches.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:14 PM

I found a site called ReplicaSearch.com which offers advice to those looking at buying a replica, explains the difference between Japanese, Swiss and Chinese movements in replicas and has reviews of a few sites.

I would guess that the reviews of the sites are not false because they are pretty uniformly bad reviews from pissed off customers.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i don't really understand buying watches, i just look at my cell phone to see what time it is

[/ QUOTE ]

I was formerly of the same opinion but, particularly at work, it's useful to be able to discreetly check the time.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure the reason that expensive replica sites exist is that thier watches use the same internal movement as thier real-life counterparts, unlike "bootleg" watches which only copy the original's appearance. Therefore, people who buy from here are more interested in the quality and engineering behind a certain type of watch but don't want to pay the ridiculous designer markup. I don't know this for a fact but I asked a friend who knows watches and this is what he told me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Most really high-end watch manufacturers (like Jaeger leCoultre pictured above) produce the movements in-house, so they're not available for the replica manufacturers.

Most replica movements are made dirt cheap in China.

A good generic swiss movement cost more than $200 for the movement alone. I found a Valjoux 7750 movement (which is used in many 'mid-level' watches like Tag-Heuers) on eBay for sale for $285.

I like the mechanical aspects of a good watch and I didn't mind spending 2k+ on the most expensive of my watches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't somebody just reverse engineer basically any watch in order to mimick the movements?
Old 10-20-2006, 03:40 PM

I have a sweet tag rip off that I got in Thailand. I've had it for over a year and it still works pretty well. I've compared it to the original and it looks almost identical. Great deal.

But, there is a lot of crap out there, that's for sure.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This site www.watch-replica.net offers quality (looking) replica watches of popular expensive brands for like $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone sell replicas of the $200 replicas? [censored] spending that much money on something that's basically cosmetic, let alone what the originals cost.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This site www.watch-replica.net offers quality (looking) replica watches of popular expensive brands for like $200.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone sell replicas of the $200 replicas? [censored] spending that much money on something that's basically cosmetic, let alone what the originals cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could wear burlap sacks for clothes too, wasting money at JC Penny for something basically cosmetic IS dumb...
Old 10-20-2006, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

$40-50 in Hong Kong or Thailand. Plane ticket only $650......
Old 10-20-2006, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Couldn't somebody just reverse engineer basically any watch in order to mimick the movements?

[/ QUOTE ]

the internals aren't expensive because of the brand name, they're expensive because they're difficult to produce and require a high degree of technical ability to assemble. there aren't many knock off $2000 bmws on the streets.