Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 04:25 PM

Default Re: 30/60 HOE Stud8 hand vs. cardplayer donks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
....the difference between $30 and $60 to him is a mute point.

[/ QUOTE ]

The word you're looking for is "moot," but if that's the case, why not just make it $60 on third? You're just calling to keep him in, but you think he'll call $60 anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]
i wasnt quite sure just how passive he was quite yet.. this was only about 15 hands deep into him sitting down.. and if he folds on 4th or 5th.. then i defeat the purpose of playing this hand kind of slowly. I guess once I decided to put the breaks on I went with the plan the whole way.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:22 PM

I don't get the whole approach about trapping. I don't think stud/8 is generally a good game for trapping. Playing (KK)J against two low cards is pretty tricky. Don't see that donator is necessarily that bad that it is worth worrying about trapping him. I think you are better off assuming both players in a 30/60 game know sort of what they are doing and play the cards, rather than basing it on this guy is a donator, and she is ABC.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:51 AM

Stud/8 is a great game for trapping. Pocket Kings isn't a trapping hand, however.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't get the whole approach about trapping. I don't think stud/8 is generally a good game for trapping. Playing (KK)J against two low cards is pretty tricky. Don't see that donator is necessarily that bad that it is worth worrying about trapping him. I think you are better off assuming both players in a 30/60 game know sort of what they are doing and play the cards, rather than basing it on this guy is a donator, and she is ABC.

[/ QUOTE ]

you couldnt be more wrong.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In general when you are entering a pot with a big pair playing stud8 you want to play the pot HU. When two low hands enter the pot there is a much better chance that your big pair is going to be scooped/ and or jammed and while you will sometimes win half there are going to be more ocassions where you will be scooped.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty for amateaur hour.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:52 AM

I try to always trust the reads people provide. Assuming people know what they are doing would basically mean I should quit poker, right?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I try to always trust the reads people provide. Assuming people know what they are doing would basically mean I should quit poker, right?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't disagree with the reads, but I think there is a limit to how far they should influence a particular hand. You should assume reasonable play. If someone is a donator, then maybe he will stay in with a weak high or something.

It seems like OP has a little bit of an attitude about how everyone is a donk, and that can influence your play in a negative way.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nicely put.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In general when you are entering a pot with a big pair playing stud8 you want to play the pot HU. When two low hands enter the pot there is a much better chance that your big pair is going to be scooped/ and or jammed and while you will sometimes win half there are going to be more ocassions where you will be scooped.

[/ QUOTE ]

ty for amateaur hour.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, You clearly still dont get it. Playing a pair of kings like this is a losing play. I didnt want to spell it out in my original response but you couldnt have played this hand worse.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you couldnt be more wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

- Stud8 really isnt a great "trapping" game. There are very few situations where you are going to slowplay your hand to deceive the other player. This doesnt mean you arent going to trap them in the middle of a jamming war or whatever it just means that slowplaying in stud8 is generally wrong.

- Playing KKJ against two low oriented hands is very tricky

- In general unless this guy has never played stud8 before I would wager than he isnt calling bets with T52 or whatever. I totally agree with betgo that you have give him some credit for a hand.

So now who couldnt be more wrong?

Thank you come again