Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 11:52 PM

Default WTF - Party Poker at the State Fair

Wanted to share a weird event today with the Forum. Made a trip to the Texas State Fair today with my lovely lady. On the Midway, there was a huge Party Poker tent. In what follows, I felt like I'd entered a Hall of Mirrors by mistake.

The sign said "The World's Finest Poker School." Others said you had to be 18 to register.

Inside, they were signing people up and registering them online on the PP.net site using notebooks (giving away a stinking hat with the registration!). They also had two live tables going with dealers and chips (free chips).

There were 5 young adult employees there and 2 older dealers and a barker calling people in from behind the counter.

I noticed the barker leave his station and walk over to a better dressed man sitting at a unused table and have a short conversation. I then went over to talk with him quietly.

I said "Excuse me, are you with Party." He turned his head to me fast, looked a little startled, and said "No one here is from Party. We're not traveling in the U.S." Then there was a silence for a few beats. The "we're" seemed like possible slip that we both recognized.

I wanted to see if I could get info without being challenging or threatening. I said I was a VIP player, and was pissed that Americans were not allowed anymore. He made a few remarks about the legislation and the politicians. I agreed with him. Then I asked if there were any plans to perhaps reopen to Americans on down the line. He said no.

We talked a bit further, getting a little more in sympatico, then he said that the past cash from the site had enabled the company to buy/get into/explore a number of other things, and to make some investments. He then said there had been some discussion of creating a precious metals fund that players could buy into, and then use their fund account to play. Then he looked at me and said "Nothing definite. We'll just have to see what develops."

I thanked him and left.

They have been operating on the grounds with a big presence, and paying salaries, since the beginning of the Fair in late September. You'd think that when the legislation passed and they announced they were going to ban on signing, and certainly on signing and actual banning, they'd have folded there tent (literally), cut their loses, lowered their profile and moved on. Instead, they were still signing up people to the .net site agressively, and acting like it was business as usual to the public. No effort to build support, no acknowledgement of the legislation to the public.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:18 AM

Default Re: WTF - Party Poker at the State Fair

What are they going to do? Corner the silver market like the Hunt brothers? You are in Texas, after all.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:19 AM

Just like the US tv commercials they are simply honoring previously signed contracts.

Nothing else...
Old 10-20-2006, 01:39 AM

What the?? That seems very very strange. Why the heck would they waste their time and money with the tent and employees when they can't make a dime off the US customers? I can understand if the tent, employees, and space were already paid for but why waste time getting people to come to their site and use their bandwidth for play money games? Very odd.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:42 AM

Woulda been a great idea for affiliates before they banned it.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:52 AM

Yeah, that's what I was thinking, too. They could surely tell the midway type employees to take a hike. Particularly because the guy said none of them worked for Party. And why not at least expose a sign like the plea to write your congressman (after the cow has bolted), or do some kind of petitioning. It just makes no sense, unless they planned to do something with the names or had some possibilities for re-entry.
Old 10-20-2006, 11:59 AM

RGL, so you mean they didn't even have any political info setup there? Nothing to tell you about the ban and how to write your congressman ect?! Well that is even weirder! Wow.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:38 PM

I saw the tent also and told them to "get bent" when they tried to get me to sign up.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:10 PM

No, not one word about the legislation, getting involved or anything proactive. They weren't even telling the people signing up that you couldn't play for money any longer, or that Party Poker was anyting other than a free, no money site. It was just like business as usual for a sign-up drive. Poker on two tables, people being walked through sign-up and playing on notebooks, PP hats in blue or black on top of heads leaving the tent. I felt like I was in a time warp!
Old 10-20-2006, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He then said there had been some discussion of creating a precious metals fund that players could buy into, and then use their fund account to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I call your 4 ounces of gold and raise you 30 ounces of silver, 10 ounces of gold, and 5 ounces of platinum.