Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Re: The Wrestling Thread

I'm 22 and have been watching since 1990/1991. I don't even know how I got hooked to it. But 15 years later, I'm still obsessed. I just wish Ring of Honor gets a TV deal.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i'm not a big wrestling fan, but my roomate in college was a wrestler. i wonder if anyone knows him .

[/ QUOTE ]
I had never heard of him and don't remember him but apparently he was in Cage of Death 7 which I have seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that is one [censored] up match.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:15 PM

Just being a kid and seeing people beating the crap out of each other was good enough for me. Macho was the first wrestler I saw on TV, so he became my favorite. I think had I turned on TBS instead of USA I might have had a totally different wrestling perspective. First PPV I ever saw was SummerSlam 88 on a TV that was maybe 6" and in B/W. I must have watched that tape 100 times. I actually cried when I ordered Survivor Series 89 and the VCR didn't record it.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:30 PM

As for me, I'm almost 29 and I started watching really young, so of course I was a Hulkamaniac. I loved all the cheesy pre-Attitude era stuff because I was jsut the right age. I didn't have cable growing up, so once it all went cable and wrestling got more edgy, I pretty much lost touch with wrestling. I graduated high school in 1996, around the same time nWo started and didn't really get back into wrestling until a couple years after when I finally started watching it on cable in the dorms, so I missed the really good years of the Monday Night Wars. But, I really liked what I was seeing until WCW finally went under. I occasionally watch now, but it hasn't been the same since WWF/E bought WCW.

Nowadays I'm much more into MMA and the UFC. The best thing about it is that I have friends that are into it, too. I didn't really have any friends that were wrestling fans and most of my friends had no idea I watched it.

Was anybody else a "closet" wrestling fan?
Old 10-19-2006, 08:22 PM

Closet? Hell no. I wear my Cactus Jack and 100% Stone Cold Whoop Ass t-shirts constantly. I think the appreciation of wrestling indicates a love of absurdity and lack of seriousness that I like in people.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Closet? Hell no. I wear my Cactus Jack and 100% Stone Cold Whoop Ass t-shirts constantly. I think the appreciation of wrestling indicates a love of absurdity and lack of seriousness that I like in people.

[/ QUOTE ]
There is a fine line between "appreciation" and "love" though. People who can appreciate wrestling=ok in my book. People who love wrestling=no thank you.

By the way, am I the only one who expected this thread to be about real wrestling?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the appreciation of wrestling indicates a love of absurdity and lack of seriousness that I like in people.

[/ QUOTE ]

bingo. Well as far as the people that just don't take wrestling to be life. There are some wrestling fans that I know that are just sad to be around, but those that enjoy it and follow it to a logical extent are some of my best friends.

as far as the OP, I remember being like 6 or 7 and WCCW would be on one of the local stations in chicago and I'd be watching Kerry VonErich as the top guy. I also remember seeing the AWA on ESPN when Shawn Micheals was just getting started and the Battle of teh Belts for the NWA. I was mainly watching the NWA as a kid as I like Ric flair a lot more then Hogan. i've been very much into wrestling off and on since then. Over the past 6 months I haven't watched much wrestling and have mainly been watching UFC like I have been for the past 10 years
Old 10-19-2006, 09:45 PM

Best wrestling match I ever say live:

Jake the Snake Roberts' debut WWS match vs. "Leaping" Lanny Poffo (aka the Valedictorian aka the Poet Laureate of the WWS) at MSG. Nobody knew who Jake was, he looked like a total white trash scumbag, and nobody knew what was in the big canvas sack he carried into the ring. People were actually cheering for Lanny, especially after he read his poem to the audience before the match and threw his poem-inscribed frisbees into the crowd. Lanny put up a fight, but Jake knocked him out in about 5 minutes, then dumped his big-ass python out of the sack right onto him to writhe around. Total silence -- people were completely shocked. One of the greatest moments of my childhood.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nobody knew who Jake was, he looked like a total white trash scumbag, and nobody knew what was in the big canvas sack he carried into the ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure quite a few people at a MSG card knew who Jake Roberts was. He had achieved a lot of success in several southern territories before he arrived in the WWF. Still, it sounds like a good introduction. But, I don't remember being surprised the first time I saw Damien on TV.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nobody knew who Jake was, he looked like a total white trash scumbag, and nobody knew what was in the big canvas sack he carried into the ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure quite a few people at a MSG card knew who Jake Roberts was. He had achieved a lot of success in several southern territories before he arrived in the WWF. Still, it sounds like a good introduction. But, I don't remember being surprised the first time I saw Damien on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the Memphis wrestling circuit had a big overlap with MSG. But then again, I was like 9, so what did I know? In any case, it was awesome.