Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 12:28 PM

Default Re: Unsure what to do with my AJs (folding seems weak...)

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a problem of not seeing him raising speculative hands UTG. We don't have a read on this player, and it means that we don't have an edge over him in this particular situation. Actually you can be pushing a lot of junk in UTG raiser, and then saying that aggression works for you everytime anyways. But aggression must have a feedback. My weak-tight ass says me that the problem is not in weak-tightness of some posters of the forum, but in a lack of information on the villian in the post under question.
Calling is an option though, but nobody has provided any good explanation why it's still a good option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I quite liked my explanation. On the bubble, he doesn't call with a worse hand if we push and we get to see three cards and act first with enough room to take any of the actions that we might want based on the texture of the flop: push/bet-push/bet-call/bet-fold/check-fold/check-call/check-push.

This is tournie specific. I tend to credit the final two tables of the Stars 20/180 with reasonable play, which is why I don't play them much. On Crypto, I'd be much more inclined to push AJs because smaller aces, KQ etc. will call very often.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's not a problem of not seeing him raising speculative hands UTG. We don't have a read on this player, and it means that we don't have an edge over him in this particular situation. Actually you can be pushing a lot of junk in UTG raiser, and then saying that aggression works for you everytime anyways. But aggression must have a feedback. My weak-tight ass says me that the problem is not in weak-tightness of some posters of the forum, but in a lack of information on the villian in the post under question.
Calling is an option though, but nobody has provided any good explanation why it's still a good option.

[/ QUOTE ]

So since we dont know him we assume he has QQ+ or something? Player we dont know goes to a default type range, of which we have an edge against. I cant think of any players range(without a very specific read that he's a giant nit) that we dont have an edge against or at least very close to an edge. I can definitely agree with you on one point, you are too weak tight.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:34 PM

shove.

u [censored] nits
Old 10-19-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
oh who knows, disregard my posts i guess.

it's just that lately i've been playing a lot tighter in these situations and have been liking my results

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish you would take at least some questions at the 0th level of sarcasm. I asked you early on to elaborate on your line and since you have only thrown out a few 1 liners. If you play by feel, say so & move on. I was genuinely interested in why you "quickly fold" AJ BUT think AQ is more interesting. These hands are a lot closer in value than you think.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I quite liked my explanation. On the bubble, he doesn't call with a worse hand if we push and we get to see three cards and act first with enough room to take any of the actions that we might want based on the texture of the flop: push/bet-push/bet-call/bet-fold/check-fold/check-call/check-push.

This is tournie specific. I tend to credit the final two tables of the Stars 20/180 with reasonable play, which is why I don't play them much. On Crypto, I'd be much more inclined to push AJs because smaller aces, KQ etc. will call very often.

[/ QUOTE ]
On the final table bubble of a 20/180, the play tends to be real weak/tight. I tend to agree that he isn't folding weaker hands, but may fold the same hand and some underpairs. So I think the push is profitable, even though you are usually dominated when called.

That being said, it is hard to say whether calling might be a better play. Calling may be a better way to take advantage of weak/tight bubble play. You have a good chance of making something with this hand, a pair or draw or whatever, so it is not terrible to play a flop with. Generally, though, it is better to get allin preflop aith a big ace.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:37 PM

I know I'm a donk and everything but isn't this a classic spot for a stop-n-go on a likeable flop? Sure, sometimes he'll have a set and then gg me.

One thing that might make me want to push is the fact that we're not closing the action, BB is still sitting behind us preflop w/14k and change. That argues for a push, IMO.

I would need a strong read to fold.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oh who knows, disregard my posts i guess.

it's just that lately i've been playing a lot tighter in these situations and have been liking my results

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish you would take at least some questions at the 0th level of sarcasm. I asked you early on to elaborate on your line and since you have only thrown out a few 1 liners. If you play by feel, say so & move on. I was genuinely interested in why you "quickly fold" AJ BUT think AQ is more interesting. These hands are a lot closer in value than you think.

[/ QUOTE ]

i play by feel

i misread OP

i dont feel like reading this that carefully
Old 10-19-2006, 01:02 PM

[sarcasm BLOCK] TY. I appreciate the response as it def. helps me put some of your other replies in context. [/sarcasm BLOCK]

We now return to our regularly scheduled level of sarcasm
Old 10-19-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okay,

i'm still folding.

in these things, donks don't open up their raising range here (even tho they should). plus there's the obv cEV /= $EV considersations at this point too

maybe it's weak but whatevs i fold

[/ QUOTE ]

If the villain's at all aggressive - I shove, otherwise - fold.