Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 05:56 AM

Default 5/10NL: Three trouble hands from recent session

Three hands from a recent $5/$10NL session that I'd like some input on. I felt I misplayed atleast one of them pretty badly, but all comments appreciated. Effectuive stacks in all hands is ~$1K, except for the last hand, where villain was shorter than me (he had about $600 or so).

I'll come with my own conclusion later, but for now I don't want to tip anyone off.

Background: Sat down two orbits ago, no reads. Villain seems a bit laggy, but that's about all.

Poker Room skin
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $5/$10
6 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to $40</font>, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $180</font>, UTG folds, CO calls, SB folds.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($410, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">CO bets $100</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $300</font>, CO calls.

Turn: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1010, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $502.5</font>, CO calls.

River: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($2015, 2 players)

Results:
Final pot: $2015

Background: Villain is a decent TAG, although he does have problems laying down hands at times. I've played with him quite a bit before. I know he multitables 5/10 and 10/20 at the same time. I think he respects my game.

Poker Room skin
9 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (9 players) Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, <font color="#cc0000">MP3 raises to $50</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $150</font>, 5 folds, MP3 calls.

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($335, 2 players)
MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($335, 2 players)
MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $200</font>, MP3 calls.

River: 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($735, 2 players)
MP3 checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $400</font>, MP3 calls.

Results:
Final pot: $1535

Background: Recently sat down, no real reads on anyone.

Poker Room skin
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
UTG calls, CO folds, <font color="#cc0000">Button raises to $20</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($80, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">Hero bets $35</font>, BB folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG raises to $80</font>, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($240, 2 players)
Hero checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG bets $95</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $450</font>, <font color="#cc0000">UTG calls all-in $364</font>, Hero calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ($1158, 1 player + 1 all-in - Main pot: $1158)

Results:
Final pot: $1158
Old 10-19-2006, 06:00 AM

Default Re: 5/10NL: Three trouble hands from recent session

i like them all.

id probably bet bet bet in h2.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:41 AM

Yeah I dont see any big mistakes here at all,

All 3 hands seem fine

In hand 2 maybe make the rr PF 175, and bet a "lil" more on river though?.

Sucks ...hand 1 = QQ ?

Hand 2 pretty sure u won that one.

Hand 3 he have 22233?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:44 AM

if yuo wanna lead in hand 3 lead for more than a pussy bet.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:47 AM

Hands 1 &amp; 2 I like, as long as the flop check is an alternate (i.e. mixing it up) strategy and not your primary approach. Usually you should bet out on that flop.

Hand 3 Fold preflop. Your hand can only make a draw, and you're out of position. Once you reach that flop, I like the flop bet, but then fold to the raise. Sure, you're getting decent odds for your straight draw, with only $55 more to call to see $190. But they aren't great odds, even if the straight draw were clean. If it were a draw to the nuts, it is still only a small +EV situation. With the board paired, it is possible to be drawing dead, which is such a huge -EV situation that, even if unlikely, it swamps the small +EV of the draw. (It also makes the draw less +EV, because an overpair or an Ad3d, for instance, has redraws.)

People hear the phrase, "Don't draw to a flush or straight on a paired board," but I guess they feel it doesn't apply to them, or that it doesn't apply in this case, or whatever. This hand illustrates why. You got there, and then found you weren't happy getting all in.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:52 PM

i like them all

hand 1 looks like QQ [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

hand 2 i think you can bet all streets

hand 3 looks good if hell stack off w/ an overpair...he might have 22/33/66
Old 10-19-2006, 03:30 PM

i like em all, cept id lead flop on 2. sry if he had 22 on 3, but i think he's just as excited to get money in w/ overpair or A3 kind of hands, so gotta go for it.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:32 PM

I like all 3...the flop check in hand 2 is very cool, a lot of draws/made hands there with a lot of equity that will checkraise you and you have no idea where you stand. Check for pot control and make him make a bigger mistake on the turn with a straight draw or flush draw or TP.

Good stuff.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:55 PM

I like all except C/R in hand one sucks IMO. Just bet the flop
Old 10-20-2006, 04:32 AM

Thanks for decent feedback, I guess I was being a bit hard on myself. Seems like it's just variance catching up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Hand #1: The thing that puzzled me in that hand, was the he INSTACALLED my re-raise. I couldn't help but put him on queens, since with kings he surely would've atleast considered a re-raise. But, since I had no idea how he played, I couldn't help but stack off. For all I know, that's how he plays AQ. Atleast now I know he's capable of the weak-bet/call raise with monster hands.

Re: check-raise play. This is not my standard play, I usually bet ~60% of the time, check-raise ~30% and smoothcall ~10% on a safe-looking board (big raise preflop, small-paired flop, no draws, headsup or max 3 players to flop)

Villain has: QQ

Hand #2: Here too, I though Villain had a broadway pair/possibly AK. Since we had a bit of history, and he has taken me off quite a few c-bets in the past, I though that check flop/betting turn here would confuse him and disguise my hand, making it look like a missed AK that didn't want to get c-bet/raised off it's gutshot.

I also feel that he's less likely to make a move on the turn, and I'd rather not face a flop CR, given my original read. Two of those hands made trips.

Villain has: JJ

Hand #3: The turn was gin for us both, filling him up and giving me the straight. From my (now collected) stats on him, he's likely to stack off with a semi-decent overpair (9's and up) and any 3, like 80% of the time here, so I don't feel so bad about it anymore.

Villain has: 66