Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 04:48 AM

Default NL100 6m - Flopped Set OOP

No reads; Effective Stacks= $100

Folds around to Button who raises to $3.5. SB folds. Hero calls from BB with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

Flop ($7.5): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero checks. Button checks.

Turn ($7.5): A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Hero bets $3.5. Button raises to $7. Hero raises to $22. Button raises to $96.5 and is all-in. Hero calls.

River ($200.5) 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I coundn't decide between leading or check raising on the flop. However I decided to go for the c/r. When he checked behind I really felt he was weak and was hoping he'd catch up on the turn. When the Ace hit, I had to bet out to give him a chance to raise any Ace, which he indeed did. When he put in the 4 raise all-in, It seemed like he could have turned a set of aces, however I felt the chances of him having two pair or less to be to great to fold. Hows my line? (It's nice to hit one outers)

Results in White
<font color="white"> Button shows JJ; Full House
Hero show 99, Four 9's </font>
Old 10-19-2006, 06:08 AM

Default Re: NL100 6m - Flopped Set OOP

Whenever the preflop raiser suddenly wakes up like this and starts raising like mad he usually has a monster.

However in this case, with the ace coming up on the turn he could have had AJ, A9, A2, 22 and even AK getting overly excited hitting his hand on the turn.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:25 AM

I'd bet the flop, or bet more on the turn with the intention of getting all-in any way possible.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whenever the preflop raiser suddenly wakes up like this and starts raising like mad he usually has a monster.

However in this case, with the ace coming up on the turn he could have had AJ, A9, A2, 22 and even AK getting overly excited hitting his hand on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

with a set on a dry board with an ace, you cant get away from this. once the ace turns your going to the felt here
if the flop came A93, id definitely lead out, bc if opponent has an ace he is probably gonna raise and then i can get it all in fairly easily, if you c/r it gives away the strength of your hand more
in this case, id generally lead out on the flop
nice suckout [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2006, 06:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the flop, or bet more on the turn with the intention of getting all-in any way possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been debating with myself about betting a flop with a set against the preflop raiser. In FR I'd do it always but with 6max there's just so much greater chance the pfr has nothing on the flop.

What's the consensus on these boards about leading out on the flop with a set against a preflop raiser?
Old 10-19-2006, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've been debating with myself about betting a flop with a set against the preflop raiser. In FR I'd do it always but with 6max there's just so much greater chance the pfr has nothing on the flop.

What's the consensus on these boards about leading out on the flop with a set against a preflop raiser?

[/ QUOTE ]

if youve read sklansky's latest book he empshasizes that you should bet in a way that when they have a hand you will win a huge pot, and not worry about when they have [censored] and you may win a very small amount
by check raising here, you will sometimes get a small bet out of them, but when they have a hand, like QQ for example, they may see a red flag
if you bet out and they raise, you can shove and it doesnt look as much like a monster AND it gets more money into the pot
Old 10-19-2006, 06:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
if youve read sklansky's latest book he empshasizes that you should bet in a way that when they have a hand you will win a huge pot, and not worry about when they have [censored] and you may win a very small amount
by check raising here, you will sometimes get a small bet out of them, but when they have a hand, like QQ for example, they may see a red flag
if you bet out and they raise, you can shove and it doesnt look as much like a monster AND it gets more money into the pot

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, and this applies well to FR. But in 6max the opponent might be raising with 15% of his hands (more if he opens from the button). AA-QQ is only 1.4% of the possible opening hands. Even getting that one cbet from the times he hit nothing (a lot of the times on a J high flop) starts to get valuable imo.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:06 AM

My line here is to lead on flop, and build the pot. Getting that one cbet from him when he hits nothing does not really mean anything. Some players will sometimes fire out like a 3 bet into a 8 pot, which is not really getting that much value plus you have to respond to that bet which gives away information since he has position. AFter reading hand I thought you did a pretty bad job of building the pot if he had a semi-decent hand i.e. checking flop then betting half the pot on the turn when an ace came- you need to bet more here, he either has a hand or he doesnt and betting 3.5 really is just keeping the pot small which is not what our goal is with a set. Anyway he had a great hand and so did you and nice 1 outer.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:16 AM

OP, standard