Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2006, 02:45 AM

Default Help a NL$10 player out.

As of right now, i'm playing NL$10 on Full Tilt and doing nothing but breaking even. I have been posting the trouble hands i have here, and told for the most part that the lines i take are standard. I'm starting to wonder if my play is bad, it's just a stalemate,
or if the rake is what is killing me (it's so high at this level, but i don't have the bankroll to go up a level yet)

The only thing that's been keeping my head above water is the Reload bonus. I lose at about the same rate i release my bonus. :/

Has anyone been able to make a profit at NL$10 on Full Tilt? Do you play full tables or 6 man tables?

I get the feeling i must be overthinking the people sitting at my tables. I also feel like i either raise to often or to little (depending on how i'm playing at the time).

I feel like every continuation bet i make with air gets called, and every bet i connect gets an insta fold. (and i always raise the same amounts)

I have no idea when to play suited connectors if someone raises.

I don't think i'm aggresive enough with my pairs preflop (i seems to play QQ+ ok, but JJ and lower i seem lost outside of playing it for a set.

With hands like JJ or TT, when i raise preflop, if there is an A, K, or Q on the flop, they smooth call and i have no idea where i am on the turn or how to play the turn. Give up the hand? Fire another bullet? Check call the river?

I need help! I will keep bringing my hands here, but i think i need such a mass overhaul, that line checks for hands post flop don't seem to be my problem. I just think my preflop play could use some advice.

Is there any money to be made just set mining at these lower levels? Should i be raising the pairs that i am trying to spike sets with?

I really feel that my flop play and river play are strong, and i have a lot of problems with my Preflop and turn play.

I'm a mess....Help.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:15 AM

Default Re: Help a NL$10 player out.

I played a litlle on 6-max NL10 there, after i ran bad/clowned away much of my initial 200$ deposit in 25NL. Seemed like you cant lose on that level, because it does'nt matter how obvious plays you make, nobody takes notice.

So dont try anything fancy, forget bluffing, and profit. Your examples of JJ and TT with smoothcalls: You're behind. There is someone who called with A7o, and wont let go of it no matter what. Many times it's ok to push big pairs preflop, someone just got a AJo, and will pay.

So basicly valuebet every good hand very strongly, and be wary when someone plays back, it's very rarely a bluff.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone been able to make a profit at NL$10 on Full Tilt? Do you play full tables or 6 man tables?

[/ QUOTE ]

I made 10PTBB/100 over 16.5k hands playing NL10 6max.
I played very tight (vpip 17/ pfr 11).

[ QUOTE ]
I get the feeling i must be overthinking the people sitting at my tables. I also feel like i either raise to often or to little (depending on how i'm playing at the time).

I feel like every continuation bet i make with air gets called, and every bet i connect gets an insta fold. (and i always raise the same amounts)

[/ QUOTE ]

I have that feeling often, but on some days it just happens.

Overthinking is bad. NL10 players are very bad, just play basic ABC poker.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think i'm aggresive enough with my pairs preflop (i seems to play QQ+ ok, but JJ and lower i seem lost outside of playing it for a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I raised every pair in every position.
A lot of full tilt players are weak tight and you can take down most pots on cbetting if high cards hit, but you have to identify those players. Taking notes helps you, and full tilt allows you to mark players with colors. I used green to calling stations and red to maniacs / bluffers.

[ QUOTE ]
Is there any money to be made just set mining at these lower levels? Should i be raising the pairs that i am trying to spike sets with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.
Don't slowplay anything. Most of the money is made by hitting sets, domination and not losing much on mediocre hands.

And remember if you hit hard, bet/raise/overbet. They will call.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:10 AM

This post reminds of how much variance is underestimated. You can't play 20k hands and expect to win exactly 5ptBB/100. Play more hands and focus on learning poker. That's all you can do.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:46 AM

I dont know if I sent you this through PM or not because my browzer froze, so ill say it here.

If you want to send me a max of 175 converted hands from one table/session, ill look over them and try to spot some of your leaks for you.

I play 100 and 200NL with some dabbles in 400NL successfully.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:48 AM

The thing that helped me actually make a profit (barely a winning player before) was tightening up extremely UTG/UTG+1 and looseing up on the CO/button.

For comparison my vpip at each position;
UTG: 18/13
UTG+1: 22/18
CO: 29/23
Button: 35/23

Post flop its basic c-bet---->give up if called. And value bet them to death if you hit a big hand. PROFIT.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:52 AM

Thanks a lot everyone.

Gimme, Inc PM.