Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Re: How could it go so bad, so quickly????

[ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the bankroll requirements for PLO.

[/ QUOTE ]

For playing pro I would want at least 50 buy-ins and maybe 3-6 months living costs in reserve.

[ QUOTE ]

I am @ ~ 13 PTBB/100 at $1/2 PLO, which by my conservative calculations using 80 tablehours a week = a salary of about $60K, more than enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sample size for your 13PTBB?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anytime I won live, I just put it into my normal bank account and would be happy to spend sh*tloads on lots of other stuff - new suit, digital camera, heavy drinking and drugs, women, yada yada yada - hey, I was a poker pro doing well, why wouldn't I spend my money? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a pro, and I really don't like to bash people, but that part sounds like an everyday degenerate gambler to me.

If you were expecting to make roughly 60k per year then you certainly can't go crazy like that during your upswings, you gotta keep that money for the evil side of variance. Well, a bit late to say that now, I guess.

Either way, get back to the grind, 9 to 5 it is. Take your dislike of having a regular job and turn it into your main motivation - to not being forced to go back to 9 to 5 the next time you give it a try. Just plan it better the next time and work on your discipline for the time being.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anytime I won live, I just put it into my normal bank account and would be happy to spend sh*tloads on lots of other stuff - new suit, digital camera, heavy drinking and drugs, women, yada yada yada - hey, I was a poker pro doing well, why wouldn't I spend my money? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not a pro, and I really don't like to bash people, but that part sounds like an everyday degenerate gambler to me.
This statement is semi FALSE. Since I am an everyday degenerate gambler who likes to play -EV games like craps, blackjack, LIR, etc The only thing we have to show for our "degenerate gambling" is when we have a winning session and buy ourselves something nice. I'm not riding you either I'm just saying I like to play games I will never win .. so when I buy myself something nice I can "LIE" to myself and say something good came of it. A bad poker player who -EV can do the same thing

If you were expecting to make roughly 60k per year then you certainly can't go crazy like that during your upswings, you gotta keep that money for the evil side of variance. Well, a bit late to say that now, I guess.

Either way, get back to the grind, 9 to 5 it is. Take your dislike of having a regular job and turn it into your main motivation - to not being forced to go back to 9 to 5 the next time you give it a try. Just plan it better the next time and work on your discipline for the time being.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-18-2006, 12:54 PM

Dude,
i think i know you.. i played with you at the poker society and always saw you round Fallowfield randomly. Last time i saw you, you told me about your win at the gutshot and havent seen you since.

Hope stuff will sort itself out for you- if you ask me.. i think you just play too high variance games with not enough money... like 5/5£ game at gutshot with only £500 to your name is gonna end up in trouble even if you manage to win that time- i think a few good wins has distorted your idea of what constitues a "poker pro".

Good luck man,
Scott. Manchester Uni Poker Society.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People constantly underestimate the variance in poker. Winning a few months in a row they all think they are invicible...

Poker is all about a 5-10% advantage in skill overshadowed by a 90-95% luck factor.

With a 5% rake and the competition booked up with all sorts of educational material and tracking software, the realistic chances for most people to win in online poker are worse than Roulette and we can all count the number of professional Roulette players worldwide...

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely disagree with this.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...rue#Post5269690

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was disagreeing with you general pessimism about being able to win. Those graphs don't change that.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't know what the bankroll requirements for PLO.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I were to be as disciplined as I want to be (is there any way to train myself other than this routine?) I would want about 30 buy-ins for my level.

[/ QUOTE ]

As with anything, having discipline is about planning for success and then taking manageable concrete steps to achieve your goals.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know how much you make off a PLO game, but it seems unrealistic that you can make a living playing 1/2 anything. If you are going to make a living doing that it's probably going to be pretty thin. So I can't really so you dropping down and still being able to make a living.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am @ ~ 13 PTBB/100 at $1/2 PLO, which by my conservative calculations using 80 tablehours a week = a salary of about $60K, more than enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the problem is that your estimates are based on the best case. You run well and you have the discipline to play those kind of hours week in and week out. The problem with your plan here is that, while it works fine when everything goes well, when something goes wrong it's all goes to fall apart on you. Having some room for unexpected problems is critical for success.
Old 10-18-2006, 11:52 PM

Sorry to hear about the rough run. I am fairly new to the forum, so I don't want to overstep, but it sounds like you were playing solid live poker and your downswing started with your return to online play. From what I understand you need a much larger bankroll to survive swings online especially if you are multi-tabling. Some people are better live players than online players and visa versa.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:03 AM

You need a bigger bankroll for online play because the games are generally tougher then live play. It doesn't have anything to do with multi-tabling aside from the fact that your winrate will most likely suffer when you play many tables.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
hey, I was a poker pro doing well, why wouldn't I spend my money? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you now know [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

(Not being sarcastic BTW. But the second part of your sentance (above) contains the answer to your problem)
Old 10-19-2006, 02:13 AM

wazz, how many hands experience did you have playing online before your $6k weekend 3 months ago? Was that $200 your first deposit into poker ??

I'm hearing you had a good run online, you won a tourney, and figured you could do this as a job?