Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 11:42 AM

Default A7s

Retarded?

Party 5/10

MP1 is something like 20/9
MP2 is like 25/10/1, but only over 50 hands or so.

UTG limps, MP1 raised, MP2 cold calls, Button cold calls, I semi-cold call in the sb with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB bolds and UTG calls

5 to the flop for 11sb: 5 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]8 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
checked to MP1 who bets, MP2 raises, button folds, I 3-bet, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

2 to the turn for 9BB J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet, MP1 calls

2 to the river for 11BB K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
I bet
Old 01-31-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Re: A7s

I just cold call the flop rather than 3-bet. Why not give UTG and MP1 a chance to hang around if you hit your straight.

The turn and river seem like spewing to me.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:17 PM

I think three betting the flop is a good play, because with the ace overcard, you want to get rid of anyone with 56 and an ace. It is usually a good idea to protect overcards on a draw, especially if it might be heads up.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:32 PM

That is probably what the OP was thinking here. EM talks about this on pp. 158-160 of SSH but it's a different situation. Here he only has one overcard and he is out of position against the aggressors. That makes me prefer calling and inviting others to get involved even though it may cost you two outs.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:35 PM

No one with 56 is folding two pair on the flop.

Also, he's only got one overcard. And if you're on a draw, you're not looking to protect, you're looking to bloat (keep people in).
Old 01-31-2006, 05:53 PM

I think you should fold preflop given the possible domination of your hand the 2/5 sb.

Your flop 3-bet rules, but this is the only part of the hand that I like. By 3-betting you are going to be clearing up ace outs for yourself a fair portion of the time and in a pot this big that rules.

as played I check/call the turn and check/fold the river. By checking the turn you might confuse MP2 enough to give a free card.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:13 PM

I like it a lot.

Pre-flop's standard.

On the flop, I prefer a 3-bet to a coldcall for a couple of reasons. If MP1 has AK/AQ/AJ, he will almost certainly call one more but fold for two more, and so we buy ourselves a couple of potential extra outs in this case. Also, we're not necessarily behind MP2, as he could be semibluff raising with the straight draw or overcards. And if he has a small piece of the flop (pocket fours or A5 or something like that), he may start thinking about folding it on the turn or river.

Having successfully gotten it heads-up, I like making another bet on the turn, as checking pretty much kills any amount of folding equity we may have built up with our flop action. We do run the risk of having to pay two big bets to see the river, but I don't think that's too awful. I'm usually willing to make a bluff stab at the river here, so we're just paying that cost here on the turn if we get raised, and we can check fold the river with a clear conscience.

So we whiff on the river, but it's a nice, scary looking card, and I think we're getting better hands to fold often enough for a bet to be worthwhile.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as played I check/call the turn and check/fold the river. By checking the turn you might confuse MP2 enough to give a free card.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is great advice.. it's amazing how often this will actually work.
Old 01-31-2006, 06:31 PM

Azharn:

[ QUOTE ]
Having successfully gotten it heads-up, I like making another bet on the turn, as checking pretty much kills any amount of folding equity we may have built up with our flop action.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much my thinking on the turn bet. If it was 3 way, I would have checked. I guess kind of question how much folding equity I do have here, given MP coldcalled preflop (not really sure of his standards here), raised the flop and the pot being so large...surely it has to be enough to justify a bet? I dunno....but after getting called and whiffing on the river, I felt compelled to fire off one more time in hopes of getting a hand like 87, 76, 99, etc. to fold.

When all was said and done, it felt like spewing, but each street felt good to me as I played it.

--Rico
Old 02-01-2006, 04:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should fold preflop given the possible domination of your hand the 2/5 sb.

Your flop 3-bet rules, but this is the only part of the hand that I like. By 3-betting you are going to be clearing up ace outs for yourself a fair portion of the time and in a pot this big that rules.

[/ QUOTE ]