Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2006, 06:31 AM

Default Marginal PFR, whiffed flop/turn, nuts on river - line check

Villain is 44/9/2 and has been stealing orphan pots a bit too much. He seems like a decent postflop player and earlier seemed to use his position on me to push me off pots. Comments on every street would be valuable...I thought they were all questionable actions

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

UTG ($24.40)
Hero ($62.20)
CO ($29.65)
Button ($20.50)
SB ($14.15)
BB ($30.05)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, CO calls $1, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>.

Flop: ($2.35) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.
<font color="blue">Usually cbet here but let it go as I thought there was a pretty good chance he would float me </font>

Turn: ($2.35) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, CO calls $1.50.
<font color="blue">I had played a big hand passively an orbit or two earlier and on the turn thought he might think I had checked a big hand. </font>

River: ($5.35) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets $3</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>
<font color="blue"> I thought he was weak, maybe a whiffed FD and expected a fold if I bet again. Tried to get a bluff out of him </font>
Final Pot: $25.35
Old 10-18-2006, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Marginal PFR, whiffed flop/turn, nuts on river - line check

I don't mind the preflop action.

I would prefer a bet on the flop generally but since you have some sort of read I guess this is ok.

I probably would have bet closer to the full pot on the turn to try and get rid of him, but the bet is good anyway.

I much prefer leading the river as it gives him the option of raising if he puts you on nothing or if he has a hand like KJ he will think he is ahead. I don't see your check-raise getting paid off here unless he has been slowplaying something like 55 or 77.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I much prefer leading the river as it gives him the option of raising if he puts you on nothing or if he has a hand like KJ he will think he is ahead. I don't see your check-raise getting paid off here unless he has been slowplaying something like 55 or 77.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your comments. I agree with all of them. Other than the when to not cbet issue, the main remaining question I have here is when to alter the default river bet/3bet line with a big hand - I completely agree that should be our usual action. Being results oriented, I'm pretty sure it would have been the better line here.

I suspected here that with my turn bet, villain would put me on a big hand or weak hand but not in between. His play to that point looked like a draw or middle strength hand. If I bet I suspect he folds in both of those cases but if I c/r I at least get a bluff out of him.

Anyone buying that line of thought?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:42 AM

If you think he will bluff here a large proportion of the time then this move is good. You do say that he has been stealing a lot of orphan pots so that may sway you towards a c/r line. However, if he figures you for nothing or a monster I would imagine he would just check behind with a large number of hands, especially since he called the turn, indicating a pair at least and therefore he may figure his hand has some showdown value.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:46 AM

I too would cbet that flop (becuase HU mainly), but like you said you had your reasons -and in terms of texture it is wet.

Bet more on the turn if you want him to fold, villan may also be on a fdraw/str8draw so we can charge him.

I agree leading the river ~PSB is best -there's quite a few 2pair hands out there in villans range that will prob raise(esp. if it looks like you're trying to steal) then you can reraise.

All other weaker hands he's likely to call if he thinks you're bluffing.

If you check you only get value fromw eaker hands/missed draws and can only raise once - a 2pair hand is unlikely to reraise you back.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:53 AM

Sometimes, I just like to push on rivers like that. Thinking players often suspect I'm trying to rep the straight or hit top pair and are willing to call more frequently than they'd call a c/r. Especially since he's been bullying you around a bit, he might think you're trying to push him out this time.

I think there's possibly more value in pushing here. I mean, how often do you need him to believe you're FOS to make it worthwhile?
Old 10-18-2006, 08:05 AM

I like that play too...but I've had a long run of folds with it.

Results: <font color="white">He called with K7o. The river card was the perfect card and I think I stack him with both the bet/3bet or the river push line [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Though in my defense, going into the river he pretty much had what I thought </font>