Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 01:00 PM

Default PLO/8 MTT ITM hand

Have been thinking about this hand.
(sorry at work so no HH)

14 left in mtt, I'm 7/14. UTG w/blinds 1000/2000(~19,000T$)have A246 rainbow.

Is this an autoplay? 3 very aggro big stacks are behind me, including CL in the BB(~46k T4).

Do you always play for a low? or maybe pick a better spot or coordinated hand?
And if played, would a limp, reraise be the way to play it?

Don't infer anything of MY play with the questions I am asking.

Thanks for any input
Old 10-17-2006, 01:01 PM

Default Re: PLO/8 MTT ITM hand

need stack sizes. i limp here. this will prevent the larger stacks from raising and also will allow others to play for the hand as well and increase ur equity
Old 10-17-2006, 01:50 PM

OOP to everyone but the blinds, so limp to try and see the flop. As, ZIZ says need to know stacks to evaluate the play after action from players yet to act. The limp cost you 10% of your stack. As you note, you would be playing for low and small str8. If big cards come, you must dump the hand.

Since you are OOP, you could be very justified in folding pre-flop & saving the chips, with the aggro players yet to act.

I don't see any need to push with this holding. This is a pulling hand if you play. You need to look for value. If raising war is declared after you limp pre-flop, it should be easy laydown, if you are not sure where the players at.

What kinds of hands have they shown down, or have they been steeling with aggro moves.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:15 PM

This is a big hand man, make it 6k, pot any flop, call a reraise pre all in.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:21 PM

I think raising is dumb UTG with that hand no matter what stack sizes are unless you are chip leader with a lot of weak opponents. Call or fold, but If im right in the middle of the pack I'd lean towards folding and waiting till i have position.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 PM

I was in a couple very similair spots last week when I played my first PLO8 MTT. I was thinking about it myself and i decided that you have to play a lot of these spots like you would in holdem.

1k + 2K = 3 K which is more than 15% of your stack and a pot sized raise would be to 1+2+2+5 so 10K and youd be committed to push any flop.

Its not unlike pushing a NLH MTT when you have under 10BB. My vote on this play is to pot preflop. You're not unhappy to call all in preflop and you're not unhappy to take it down. Also if you just get called you'll be the first to act and be able to shove any flop which i consider an advantage.

BTW, someone chime in here but when i was shortstacked in the tourny i just decided that from the CO and the Button, A2-4 and 23 and 2-4 from the button and 34, 25 were all potting hands that when I had around 10BB i just wasnt going to get away from if i got repushed. I just figured if i could get 70% of my money in most people with similair stacks will fold any non A2 or A3 and even then I was probably 40%. Any comments on this approach?
Old 10-17-2006, 07:12 PM

im rasing 2.5xbb-3xbb here now that i have stack sizes. remember ur also playing 6-7 handed right now so ur not @ full table. raises like this look strong.
odomination: when im 10bb short and its folded to me @ CO, im shoving pretty much any hand since most hands have good equity PF and i need a double up. im going for 1st, not FT. (preferably both)
Old 10-17-2006, 07:22 PM

What % of these pots get raised preflop? I wouldn't like to limp here and have to call any raises. The 6 in your hand is a dead card, and in terms of heads up equity, your hand is a 57/43 dog to A2xx, and you're even a 55/45 dog to A3xx. The types of hands you beat are random cards, where you have around a 55/45 lead, and all high card hands like KKxx, where you have a 53/47 lead. So most realistic situations will be a coinflip for you. BUT some of the more likely push hands, like AAwx, have you dominated 2 to 1. So frankly I don't like a limp, because:
1) you might get raised by a hand that has you in a very bad position, and the best thing you can really hope for is a coinflip, since you don't dominate any hands.
2) many pots during this part of the tourney are potted on the flop. Unless you get lucky and make a low on the flop, you'll be having to make a very risky gamble for the rest of your chips just to split a pot, or you'll have to fold 2,000 chips behind.

That's why I feel like limping this hand is like limping 22 in hold 'em. It's definietly a great cash game move, but with huge blinds in a tourney you have to put your chips in the safest spots you can. When this hand hits it usually only gets half the pot, and when it doesn't it costs you a big part of your stack.

I think raising here in the long run is probably EV neutral. You'll pick up the blinds most of the time, but other times you'll be pot comitted to a reraise, and most hands that reraise here have you beat, though some by a larger margin than others. So I guess it depends on your gamboooling philosophy to an extent.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:42 PM

I would also like to put out that we are getting around another bubble area (in fact we are on the bubble) so that the limp is even stronger here, b/c people will not want to get involved in hands w/o big holdings. I'm always raising here, but I'm trying to change my style of play near the bubble and try to find the highest EV decisions
Old 10-18-2006, 12:35 AM

Thanks all.I happen to be thankful that you all chimed in.

I really thought about this hand after the tourny....

Not that is matters. I did pot it pre...I had a tightish image and and was hoping to get the blinds w/o a flop( the ole UTG NL steal attempt). The hand worked out for me in this instance, but I'm not sure I would do the same in the same circumstances.

One thing that really made me think about it was: A little later I had basically the same hand in the same position at the FT. But this time I had my 2 suited to my Ace. I felt that this hand was a lot stronger and played it a bit different (limp-reraised it) with good results.

I really appreciate all the feedback.

thank you all again