Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Cufflinks

Despite the fact that we're delving deeply into semantics here, and that I've wasted too much time on this as it is, I'll respond. You've missed my point again. Of course, I've SEEN cufflinks connected by a link or a chain. I've never thought of looking seriously at them because I've never seen them worn or known anyone who thought them appropriate. Now, thanks to the wisdom and fashion sense of a fellow OOT poster who has vouched for them, I'll consider them more seriously.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 PM

Silk knot cufflinks are popular in Europe. There, they are considered to be as classy and formal as metallic cufflinks, despite the fact that they are much cheaper.

Although I like them, I have never seen anyone wearing them in a professional setting. Rarely, I will wear them casually when I want to wear a french cuff shirt without seeming overly formal.

And to answer your bonus question properly is tough. In a business setting, done properly, I think cufflinks convey an excellent impression. However, if they are worn improperly or in the wrong setting, I think they convey the impression that the person is trying too hard, and can backfire.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:30 PM

Skunk - I like silk knot cufflinks. Single color. They are less formal and more subtle, and if you own a lot of french cuff shirts (I just have a ton from work) I think it "dresses down" a formal cuff.

LA is not a french cuff + cufflink city, so it's a bit unusual here. I've garnered almost uniformally positive responses from women, for whatever reason. Never really noticed guys reactions to it, maybe they wanna punch me in the face, no clue.

I'd say in SF and NYC it's much more standard, and wouldn't be noticed as much.

-Al
Old 10-17-2006, 08:32 PM

I've never worn cufflinks before, and don't really have anything to add to this riveting discussion but I would like to point out that my roomate with the initials BR found a nice set of cufflinks from Banana Republic with the initials BR.

That is pretty dope if you ask me.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:33 PM

al is right.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:39 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

skunkworks.

i have the exact same silk ties as pictured, color and all. i dig them and got many compliments and "wow, what are those? they look way better than cufflinks" when i wore them. silk ties for lyfeeee.

rj
Old 10-17-2006, 08:40 PM

Al,

I really like the idea of having all of my nicer dress shirts be french cuff, but I can't tell if that's me just being a pretentious d-bag/attention whore. Do you think french cuff is a bit more ostentatious? Do you prefer cufflinks that are actually linked on a chain? How badly are the Lakers going to dominate this year?

None of this really matters really though -- I almost never have any occasion that requires formal wear unless it's an interview. And hell, I work in the software industry and go to work in jeans and a tshirt every day. But it's still worth discussing, I think.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:41 PM

mens - check out uncrate.com, they have a few cool cufflinks.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:42 PM

I guess I'll consider getting a pair of silk knots then. Thanks for the advice.

Also, I have no idea why I decided to adopt this thread.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:44 PM

skunk,

Yes, the standards should be much higher for new threads.

Re: your q, French Cuff thread.
Closed Thread