Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 12:00 PM

Default Re: *Official* Stupid Gigabet Crap thread

[ QUOTE ]
You get me wrong. they do not know what is right. hence the inverted comma's round the word "manoeuvre

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe I understood it perfectly....it is nonsense though. If someone doesn't know that something is right, or that a right and wrong even exist for a given set of circumstances, who has the authority to label their actions "not right."

The quote portends that the "fools" in question understand that their is a right way and a wrong way, but choose to ignore that, or don't comprehend what subset their actions should fall under, so they do as they please.

These players in question are not fools, for the most part....they do not realize that a certain pattern of play falls under an accepted theory that we all accept as fact. It isn't that they know that there are guidelines out there that dictate the rightness or wrongness of a play and choose to ignore, or not learn those guidelines. For the most part, they are just completely ignorant of such guidelines.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are not outplaying yourself or being outplayed. It's just much more is being left to chance (due to the ignorance of your opposition) than is optimal for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes
Old 01-31-2006, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew he wasn't going to fold to my raise, no matter the size of it, but I wanted to represent a hand(because I thought he was weak)

[/ QUOTE ]

Giga, I have all the respect for your play and thinking about the game, but talking about representing a hand to a random $11er is completely crazy talk. You are throwing away money and ROI points. You are playing against clueless fish. FWIW, even if he's not terrible he should not give you credit for a "hand" you are representing, because to him YOU are probably a random $11er, who overplays garbage and raises limpers out of boredom.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:20 PM

Last 3 $11's now - 67072, 67023, 66874. Finished 9th on '072 when his turn all-in with pocket AA got cracked by a river T to give villain two pair Jacks and Tens
Old 01-31-2006, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Giga, I have all the respect for your play and thinking about the game, but talking about representing a hand to a random $11er is completely crazy talk

[/ QUOTE ]

I say those words because I am used to saying them, I am representing something to this player...a pattern of play, whatever, I know he isn't thinking about my hand. But if I don't make this bet before the flop, then a bet after the flop isn't going to mean anything to this player, except something temporarty, that will probably go away if he just calls it. By making a preflop action, I create a pattern of play that appears as if it doesn't end. So, he is therefore less likely to call the flop bet if he happens to let it wander into his mind that this action is going to happen on every street. He doesn't want to go broke, he knows that, and he starts to notice that these meaningless calls will cost him something in the end.

You have heartfelt dedication to making it well known that the avg $11 dollar stt player is a "clueless fish." Why do you think of them that way?

Wouldn't it be more beneficial to you to think of them as thinking people who don't understand the game, but are trying? Obviously that is the case, since, the mere act of playing involves some type of effort. And we are pretty sure that most of the time, a real person is behind a computer, somewhere, making those moves.

These people are are thinking about something, I guarantee that, they may call out of boredom occasionally, but when that happens, they probably don't know that not calling is better than calling.

Why not try and think like they do, obviously that will have a better affect on not only your mindset, but your actual game as well. Thinking about the game in different ways helps you think around corners that were walls before.

You cut yourself short by labeling these players in such a deragatory fashion. No one is going to want to put themselves in a clueless fishes place, so they can figure out what they are thinking.
Old 01-31-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Gigabet,
I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate everything you do here on this forum and I am looking foreward to getting ahold of the hhs to hopefully further my game even if everyone else here is closeminded to your ideas. Also, I always thought I could get at least 40% roi in the $11s by just playing a good normal push fold game in the $11s. I dont know if 70% is possible, although I would gyuess 55% is. It would take a dramatic change in normal sng strategy, but yoyu already know this. Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too, Thank you.

I've learned a lot from you're posts, and I'm looking forward to seeing the HH's.

John
Old 01-31-2006, 12:58 PM

Great points. GB you just might get up to your 500th post out of all this. Are you excited? Maybe then people will start taking you a little more seriously.

Also you need some silly location like everyone else. Although now that I think about it, 'Iowa' is pretty silly for a professional poker player. So nevermind on that.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:02 PM

finished the 11s...roi is -2.73 for a net loss of $30.00.

i guess the shoelaces will have to wait.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have heartfelt dedication to making it well known that the avg $11 dollar stt player is a "clueless fish." Why do you think of them that way?

[/ QUOTE ]

As you said, i'm saying these words because as a common term they are understandable in this context. "Clueless fish" could actually mean at times different things, and I am well aware of that.

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't it be more beneficial to you to think of them as thinking people who don't understand the game, but are trying?

[/ QUOTE ]

While i was playing these games, i spent a lot of time thinking about them, and also categorizing them, trying to do everything I can to understand different "clueless fish" and maximize my winning against them. However, I strongly disagree with your notion that "they don't understand the game, but are trying". I think it's a big mistake to think that they (many many of them, that is) approach this game in even a remotely similar way to the way you (or us here in general, say) approach it. They simply don't, IMO. The play it and that's it. Many many of them just don't "try to understand it". Of course there are very basic human tendencies that are there to "manipulate", but it has very little to do with "trying to understand the game", IMHO.

I understand your reasons for that particular raise of course, and I know that you don't think that your opp is thinking about the hand you're holding. Still I believe that in order to do such move profitably in that level there should be some amount of "trust" between players, that is based upon understanding their motives outside of "seeing a flop". And too often you simply can't get to that amount.

[ QUOTE ]
And we are pretty sure that most of the time, a real person is behind a computer, somewhere, making those moves.

[/ QUOTE ]
of that aspect of the game, and it is very important for me to keep that very deep in mind while playing. But it seems that we are simply disagreeing with regard to the core motivations of this person, when it applies to low buy-in SNGs.

[ QUOTE ]
Why not try and think like they do, obviously that will have a better affect on not only your mindset, but your actual game as well. Thinking about the game in different ways helps you think around corners that were walls before.

[/ QUOTE ]

I constantly try to think about the game in different ways. As a matter of fact, I have a strong feeling that here it is YOU who is not willing to think about the $11 SNGs as a very different game from the ones you are used to, a game that takes some very different approaches, and specifically it takes the ability to throw away some ideas about how people "think" about the game, and what is their motivation for playing it.

[ QUOTE ]
You cut yourself short by labeling these players in such a deragatory fashion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean it to sound derogarory. Usualy when I play even against players who I believe are clueless, I never dismiss them and I put all the effort I can in order to beat them for maximum value. When doing so (as you probably know better than me) the mere mental energy you put in dismissing your opponents is an obstacle in the way towards playing with a clear mind.

[ QUOTE ]
No one is going to want to put themselves in a clueless fishes place, so they can figure out what they are thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe it or not, when playing "clueless fish" I always try to put myself in their place, especially with regard to keep a close touch with their "feelings" and specific mental state (as much as it can be done online), and much less about what they "think" about.
Closed Thread