Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 06:11 PM

Default Email from Sen. Coleman

Got this email today from my senator. Thought it was of some value.

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your opposition to Internet gambling legislation .

On September 30, 2006, both the House and Senate passed port security legislation that included a provision that would prohibit payments made to Internet gambling site operators through financial services companies. It would also update current law to take into account the use of the Internet for gambling purposes. Finally, the provision would authorize additional funds for law enforcement. It is important to note that this legislation does not make Internet gambling illegal but rather allows enforcement of laws currently in place.

I had serious reservations about including an Internet gambling ban in port security legislation. However, once the internet gambling provision had been added to the conference report, I supported the overall bill because port security was too important to jeopardize. The President signed this measure into law on October 13, 2006.

Thank you once again for contacting me. If I can be of further assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me again.

Sincerely,
Norm Coleman
United States Senate
Old 10-17-2006, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Email from Sen. Coleman

His reservations are probably about the process of adding unrealted legislation to a bill, as opposed to the merits of the added provision itself.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:40 PM

Or that money to name a highway after him wasn't tacked on as well...
Old 10-17-2006, 09:58 PM

Coleman is a good guy. I have met him several times. I wrote him too but I haven't heard back from him yet. I am sure I will get the same letter. At least he didn't spout off about the evils of gambling.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:00 AM

I sent him a letter back in June, and just got a letter that said he would consider my thoughts on this issue if it came up in the senate. Typical response from a politician that didn't tell me if he was for or against online poker.
Would have posted letter I recieved, but I reformatted my computer a few weeks ago and I didn't save it.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:14 AM

I got the exact same letter too. Let me add that I follow politics closely, and that Senator Coleman is a horrible public servant, and a horrible person. He is a man without principals, and will only do what he thinks will get him elected again. Example: Coleman lead the push in Minnesota to call John Kerry a "flip-flopper", even though Coleman had flip-flopped from being a democrat to a republican! Now he almost always votes with the republicans. Let's hope this A-hole loses in the next election.
Old 10-18-2006, 05:43 AM

I'm sure if you wrote in favor of the ban, you'd get a different response.

Normy's as good at talking out both sides of his mouth as anybody. Well, maybe not good, but he gets a lot of practice.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:18 AM

Yeah i dont think anything he wrote would preclude him from spouting off about the "evils" of i. gambling if you wrote a negative letter. It does seem like a way to say he supports your position even if he does not.