Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 02:05 PM

Default So I started playing at stars...

Ok so after PartyPoker shut down for Americans I decided to start playing at PokerStars, after getting to know the software I was all settled to just continue winning like I did on PartyPoker...

Needless to say, it ended up a little different :X.

with an absolute new record for me in the last 70 minutes:
Old 10-17-2006, 02:16 PM

Default Re: So I started playing at stars...

but how much did you win?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:35 PM

Hey, thanks for contributing to the strat forums that helped you move from the micros to 5/10 over the span of a few months. I'm real sorry about your recent losses!
Old 10-17-2006, 02:43 PM

What's 5/10?
Old 10-17-2006, 02:50 PM

Stars sucs for good players. See my thread about Stars variance help needed
Old 10-17-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey, thanks for contributing to the strat forums that helped you move from the micros to 5/10 over the span of a few months. I'm real sorry about your recent losses!

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be the best reply in this whole thread, it really got me thinking. You're right, I have read a lot of posts and searched for a lot of interesting topics but almost never replied in the strategy topics. Most of the time because there were already like 5 responses of people which are obviously a lot better than me but I have to say it's kinda bad lurking here all the time and only post with trouble.

And because I decided to take a poker break for a few days, I will use that time from now on to start reply'ing and posting and hopefully contributing something to the forum.

I'm not sarcastic, really thank you for getting me to think about this.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:20 PM

Stars = bad for cash games
Stars = good for tournies
Old 10-17-2006, 03:29 PM

This is so standard.. I've recently been on a 500bb downswing in this game, and half way out of it, I proceeded to go on a 300bb downswing dropping me right back to rock bottom.

I think there is alot more variance in 5/10 than any of the previous limits.. The average fish is more aggressive, and there are alot more people playing for a living there than at 3/6..

Just do yourself a favor and take a break.. Start posting in SSSH.. Hire a coach.. Don't be a stubborn bastard like me. I sincerely regret not taking those steps earlier in my downswing - instead I just kept telling myself it was variance and that it would all turn around any moment.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:36 PM

Thank you for your reply Mossberg, I must say I read BBV every day and laugh about all the 1 word replies, and I really thought that this topic would be full of it too. Which I could live with of course, otherwise I wouldnt have posted it here.

But it's great to see that some people really want to give some advice and at least give me some things to think about and don't give up.

And indeed I think that the step from 3/6 to 5/10 might be bigger than I thought and I've just been running well for 60k hands on PartyPoker. The games are a lot more aggro on Pokerstars if you ask me and getting checkraised every single time after a continuation bet on flop makes me feel lost.

It's a week of SSSH posting and reading for me, without playing poker, that's for sure!
Old 10-17-2006, 05:18 PM

Heh, if you're cleverly disguised on Stars as player "ticenl" then I've played with you a little over the last few days.

You run bad. At my tables you've got preflop stats like 10/4 or something. I was assuming you were a typical Stars overtight nit, but now I know you're a rammin-jammin 2er it's easy to conclude that you run bad.

Please leave before you start running good and then come and ruin the $10/20 games too.

Guy.