Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2006, 03:20 AM

Default Overpair on a paired board, what\'s your line?

Villain is new to the table (3rd hand).

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:29 AM

Default Re: Overpair on a paired board, what\'s your line?

3bet
Old 01-31-2006, 03:47 AM

Trey, and lead a safe flop if he just calls.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:30 AM

I go ahead and 3-bet. I think the flop is the place to have the battle in this hand. If he caps, you can feel good about calling down, if he just calls, then you can feel good about leading the turn. Of couse, if he raises your turn bet, then you're not going to feel good at all. I think against an unknown, I'd still throw another raise in there on the flop.
Old 01-31-2006, 10:33 AM

3bet and go from there. raise the turn to a call, fold to a turn raise if you bet maybe (not sure)? Either that or call down to a turn raise, but what's he raising with that you beat?
Old 01-31-2006, 10:43 AM

*grunch*

He's making this hand HU with overcards I think?

Call and c/r turn on a safe card.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:40 AM

I definitely 3-bet. A lot of players raise here and check behind on the turn with overcards. Another option is to call and c/r the turn but I think you need more of a read to risk it.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:50 AM

3-bet. I think we're ahead the majority of the time and considering a turn c/r as the other option would make us more money. I think this guy will bet the turn with a worse hand than ours a very high % of the time because we are HU and he will be hoping to push us off overcards. However if we're behind, we're way behind and I want to know that now rather than get 3 bet on the turn c/r. I like our hand but do not love it. 3-betting makes the hand easier to play and discourages wonks from getting frisky with us with garbage overcards later.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:53 AM

I 3bet, given his preflop cold-call I think we're looking at an opponent with a lower pocket pair who thinks you whiffed on your overcards. If he plays back I go to calldown mode, and I'd rather have him play back on this street then risk a 3bet on the big bet streets.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:40 PM

Interesting...

My thoughts were to call and donk-fold the turn. Maybe I'm still overcompensating for the expected lower aggression of full ring. I wasn't expecting him to raise a stop and go on this sort of board unless he had me beat (ie medium pocket pair would not raise the turn bet). I'll reconsider the line.

BTW - I'm a luckbox.

Paradise Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (14 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Jd Jc (full house, jacks full of eights).
MP3 has Ac 8c (three of a kind, eights).
Outcome: Hero wins 22 BB. </font>