Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2006, 05:33 AM

Default Re: IF Doyle got jailed? (hypothetical question)

Off Topic:

America's Card Room (and online poker room) does not accept Americans.

I chuckled.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe this forum should now be devoted to finding out how to put Doyle Brunson in jail for violating this new legislation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doyle has a press conference on the steps of congress: "I own a poker site. I promote it, and I cater to Americans. Contempt of congress? You bet!"
Old 10-17-2006, 07:07 AM

I do find it pretty funny if people would start voicing their opinions more loudly FOR Doyle Brunson, like he was a victim, poor old man, while not rallying for their bread and butter.

"Hey, I didn't care about this legislation when it threatened my income, but look, they got Doyle , our mascot, let's go to barricades"
Old 10-17-2006, 07:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what IF mattisow got jailed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

if he gets jailed, the high stakes players on FTP are gonna be ssssooo pissed that their dead money is gone...
Old 10-17-2006, 09:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If Doyle got jailed im pretty sure there would be a huge response from the poker community as a whole.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. just like we all came together to fend off this legislation!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't going to say it but I'm glad that someone did. What makes anyone think that the general poker community would rally to his support when everyone pretty much ignored this pending legislation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if Doyle got arrested, alot of big name players in the spot light probably would all get together and organize something. The well known pros didnt do much at all to help prevent this from happening to online poker, all we really had was the PPA. You don't think if the likes of daniel negreanu, greenstein, raymer all organized something it would be more powerful? The reason the online poker community didn't come together was because there really was no leaders to step up and do it... i mean its the internet, the channels of communication are not as wide spread to the masses like people who are in front of the TVs and can reach mr joe schmoe whose at home watching. For example, that protest in DC that was organized by some lady nobody's ever heard of was horrible, if it had been helmuth, ivey, negreanu, raymer, and a bunch of other well known pros and better planned it woulda had a much better result.

[/ QUOTE ]

a bunch of well known pros WERE affected in a huge way by this legislation. all of the guys who have equity shares or major interestes in online sites. the silence was deafening.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:28 AM

Im sure hes gotten extensive legal advice.....dumb post...a better post would be What if Senator Bill Frist got jailed...his nickname would really turn into Mr. Fist then.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what IF mattisow got jailed [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]?

[/ QUOTE ]

He'd get what he deserves:

"Sqeal like a pig for me, boy"

"You shore do got a pretty mouth"

"You're going to have a lot of friends in prison. Big, hairy friends. But you won't be able to see their faces becase you'll be turned the other way."
Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 AM

Yes, if Doyle were arrested, the fight against prohibiton II would be strengthened. And yes, for that very reason, he probably wont be. But: If he provoked his own arrest in some grandstanding way, that good would be diminished especially outside the poker community. Also, the government has a dilemna when it comes to the question of arresting Doyle. Again, they would not want to arrest him because of the public outrage that would follow, but, if they dont arrest him, then how do they then arrest anybody else for the same crimes? I know law enforcement has discretionary power -- in other words, they dont have to arrest everybody who breaks the law, but they are not supposed to use that discretion as a PR play.

Either way they look bad.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in other words, they dont have to arrest everybody who breaks the law, but they are not supposed to use that discretion as a PR play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, tangled. The thing is, there will probably be a few token arrests, but I doubt this will happen on any large scale. Too many arrests and trials lead to too much public scrutiny, and also increases the very small chance that an entity like the supreme court or the WTO takes decisive action. I think they just want this weak bill to wreak havoc on the poker world without them having to do much about it. They've put up an orange traffic cone in our parking space, but overly agressive enforcement could backfire.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he does get arrested and jailed, I'd happily do a few months in the clink with Doyle and a deck of cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

why?

[/ QUOTE ]
Playing poker without ever learning the proper way, thousands of dollars.

Reading a lot of poker books, hundreds of dollars.

Getting advice from arrogant young jerks on 2+2, free.

A few months alone with the world's greatest poker player, a deck of cards, and nothing else to do, priceless.